• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Photoshop CS6 hangs when using brush, clone, healing brush tools etc on Mac

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a big problem when using the new CS6 on my Mac (os x 10.7.4). When switching to a new tool, like a brush, or clone stamp, or healing brush etc, Photoshop hangs for about 20 seconds before resuming. It's not 3rd party plug-ins, because I get the same behaviour when I run using the shift key and third party plug-ins are disabled. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens frequently. I've heard that others have had similar problems... are there any solutions - is it a known bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 405 Replies 405
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what solved my problem using a Wacom Intuos5 tablet

I used the newest driver for the tablet on the Wacom Europe site (6.35W3) rather than the US version 6.3.5-3

Make sure you uninstall the old driver version first before installing the new one.

Hope that helps people with a Wacom tablet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it only resolved the hanging of PS but the short quick strokes still lag which is quite frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're still working on this, but I'm looking for more information from everyone experiencing this.  Do you use PS with the application frame on or off?

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use PS with application frame off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I work with the application frame on, in reply to Adam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I suggest, as this appears to be a major enough issue, that you get the developers to write an extension or a small utility that runs in the background and monitors the main thread - when it finds enough of a delay on the thread it could do a check for what other apps or processes are running, are mouse events getting through to PS or is it hearing nothing from the main event handler, whatever. I am a developer and cannot imagine having an issue like this with one of my products and leaving it to random tech support questions to try to solve it over this long a period. Are there really no beta testers getting this issue? Maybe get some of the posters above on your list of beta testers if this is the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great suggestion from Sean b99. Seems like a logical way to help diagnose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this issue daily. It is quite frustrating. Here are some details that I have, and hopefully they help. I usually experience the lag when brushing, but I do get lags when switching between tools. For instance. I will be using the brush, and switch over to the lasso tool, and I will get a lag. I will then have to move out of PS to another app. ( which I usually click on the desktop, then back to PS, then the desktop, and finally back to PS). This has been my work around for the issue, and will engage PS to work again. It doesn't happen with every file, but it happens often. ( At least 2 times daily).

To answer your question about the application frame, I turn it off. I have two monitors, both 27 in. apple monitors. I am on a Mac Pro Tower with OS X 10.6.8. This problem happens on my Intuos 3 on my iMac at home as well, which is running Mountain Lion. So I know that it's not just intuos 5.

I read what Adam said about looking for someone West of the Rockies to test with. Well, I am that guy. I am in LA so if you are still looking for someone to test with, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DapJer:  please do contact me directly (my email should be in the thread above) as I'm still looking for more people to work with on this issue.

There are a couple of tests I'd like people who are experiencing this issue to try...

Try (one at a time):

1.  Navigate to Preferences > Plug-Ins and disable both Allow Extension to Connect to the Internet and Load Extension Panels (quit and re-launch the app after making this change)
2.  Preferences > Interface and re-enable Open Documents as Tabs

Try #1 and see if the problem still occurs.  If it does, re-enable both extension settings in the Plug-ins preferences panel (quit and re-launch the app) and then try #2.

If the hang continues to occur in either case, please let me know.

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try these out today and see if they help. Thanks for the quick response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Jerugim wrote:

DapJer:  please do contact me directly (my email should be in the thread above) as I'm still looking for more people to work with on this issue.

There are a couple of tests I'd like people who are experiencing this issue to try...

Try (one at a time):

1.  Navigate to Preferences > Plug-Ins and disable both Allow Extension to Connect to the Internet and Load Extension Panels (quit and re-launch the app after making this change)
2.  Preferences > Interface and re-enable Open Documents as Tabs

Try #1 and see if the problem still occurs.  If it does, re-enable both extension settings in the Plug-ins preferences panel (quit and re-launch the app) and then try #2.

If the hang continues to occur in either case, please let me know.

Thanks,

Adam

Tried this, this morning. I still get a hang in both case if I immediately start working with brush tools. Clone was the tool I was using. As I have stated before if I give PS a few seconds before working a new tool after selecting it then I rarely see any hangs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2013 Apr 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem for almost a year now. Got CS6 last May and my first Wacom in July (Intuos4). MacPro 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core. Incredibly frustrating. Just like everyone else has stated: hangs for long periods after selecting brush, clone, healing brush, lassoo and touching pen to tablet. Never had this hang up problem with CS5 and a standard mouse. It seems the productivity gained in using the tablet is neutered by time spent waiting on Photoshop to catch up. I usually end up restarting if it lets me. Sometimes have to force quit.

And if Adobe is interested I am west of the Rockies in Westlake Village, CA

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2013 Apr 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still getting the dreaded hang after trying the steps Adam suggested on all of my production machines.

Please throw some resources at this and get it sorted, Adobe. Your support so far has been woeful. Really disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey guys,  I just noticed that if I shake my pen it fix the problem, 

It appears to be something on the sensitivity of the wacom pen,  it sticks on the inside or something like that,  so if you shake the pen it instantly fix the problem and you can continue working, 

try it, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried this and it worked! I'll report back if it fails to work every time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This of course does not apply to those of us who were seeing the hang

without having a wacom device hooked up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

of course, it is just a workarround,   and of course is a software problem, because it does not happen in CS5 at all,  with the same pen and tablet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news if this bug has been fixed in Photoshop CC, or are those of us in this thread going to be on CS5 permanently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that Adobe has any intention of fixing this in CS6. They want to get you hooked on CC, and once they get that revenue stream from your CC addiction what incentive do they have in fixing anything. You will pay monthly or no software to use, crappy full of bugs or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2013/03/5-myths-about-adobe-creativ e-cloud.html

Adobe says:

Myth #5: I will be forced to always run the latest version of the software

You are not forced to upgrade. You can continue to run which ever versions of the software that you want until YOU are ready to upgrade. This is crucial for workflows that involve working with clients or vendors that may not be on the latest versions of the software. You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released.

How is this NOT being forced to upgrade.

So CS6 has been out for a year now without these bugs being fixed. You can no longer use CS5 NOW!

THIS IS THE FUTURE WITH CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They announced that there will be no support for package users...

Is this for real? 

Look how many pages are there on this thread!!!  No word on fixing this bug and they want to move to monthly fee model? 

I am done with Adobe.  Start looking into Photoshop replacement.  I've been a customer since 5.5... and this is what I get. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking class action lawsuit. Our issues need to be fixed. You sell us an already rediculously priced product and claim how great it is, yet the bugs, and particularly this one, make our work counter productive. ADOBE YOU ARE COSTING YOUR CUSTOMERS MONEY!! Adobe you are a liability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well guys,  I'm out of here,  my trial has expired,   hope there is a fix soon  so I can decide on affiliate to CC 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines