• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP re Compatibiity Photoshop 2023

Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I'm supposed to be an Adobe Ace, but I need help! I'm sending psd files to a guy in the UK who has Photoshop 6. I have Photoshop 2023. He says he can only open one of them. So he asked for hi-res jpegs, and he can only open one of those! Is it because his version is so old? I don't know what to do. Why can he open one of them but not the others? I think I saved them all the same way.  I went into Preferences and enabled Legacy Save. I save them as JPEG (the first one on the list):

SAVE-AS-JPEG.jpg

Moved from the non-technical Lounge to Photoshop... Moderator

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big in terms of pixel dimensions are the files that won't open?

Any error message on the files that won't open?

Can you confirm with your guy whether he has photoshop 6 circa 2001 or photoshop cs6 circa 2012 and what operating system?

Maybe some kind of Metadata is to blame.

If you use File>Export>Save for Web (Legacy) with Metadata set to None, does that make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're pretty small. it's greeting card art about 5x7", 8 or 9 MB On average, I can' t use Save For Web as they must be hi-res, and I was only trying jpegs because he can't open the psd files.  He's on Windows 11 and so am I. I'll ask him about the 2001/2012. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If he's on Windows 11 he almost certainly has CS6. Photoshop 6 is likely too old to install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought too, I mean updating to Windows 11 is the reason I finally came to CC because CS6 was incompatible. . I'd better get back with him to clarify that.  Thanks!

-edit- If he does have CS6, he'd be able to open files from CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as saving psd files for older versions of photoshop, most of the time they will open if Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibilty under Edit>Preferences>File Handling is used to save the psd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really odd. Jpeg will strip the file down to bare essentials that should be open-able by any Photohop version right back to v1.0. It will be 8 bit, there won't be any layers (so max compatibility is moot), there won't be any transparency and there won't be any alpha channels. There won't be anything except the pixels.

Missing file extension? Double file extension? Do you have extensions visible in the OS?

If not that, it has to be in transfer or on the receiving end. Corrupted in transfer, and then maybe the new open attempt goes to a cahed "old" file instead of the new? I don't know if that's possible. Give the new files a new name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! I didn't know they could be corrupted in the transfer. We are using We Transfer. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I use wetransfer a lot, and can't recall any specific problems with it. But that may just be luck. I've seen a lot of corruption with various cloud services including dropbox, and anything that goes to a server somewhere online is potentially risky in my book.

Send them again, with new file names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be worth a try to zip the files before sending them so whatever transfer service your using doesn't corrupt the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll ty it!  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines