• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High Pass filter grey not "disengaging" from image

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Photoshop Version 25.0.0 on a Mac mini M1 running macOS Sonoma 14.0.

Today, for the first time, I started teaching myself how to use the High Pass filter for sharpening, using a public domain photo of an owl.  First, I followed the tutorial at https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/hub/guides/sharpen-image-high-pass-filter.html, and when I didn't get the expected result (the color image slightly sharpened), I followed an online tutorial by Photoshop Essentials, and that had the same unexpected result.

As I understand it, after I set the pixel radius in the High Pass window and click OK, the grey overlay on the image is supposed to disappear and the sharpened color image is supposed to show in the document window and the layer thumbnail.  Instead, the grey filling the image remains.  To restore the color image, I had to disable the filter or go backward to the first step.

I've attached screenshots of my sequence of steps.  

What am I doing wrong?  Thank you!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Oops!  I just figured it out.  You have to change the blend mode and you have to change the blend mode of the filter, from inside the High Pass filter window, at the top of the window.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops!  I just figured it out.  You have to change the blend mode and you have to change the blend mode of the filter, from inside the High Pass filter window, at the top of the window.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you found it.  Overlay is the default, but you can go with Hard Light and Vivid Light, but you'll be getting into some harsh results if you push too far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines