• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I avoid having crop tool active when I open an image?

Participant ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open an image in Photoshop (vs 25.3.1), the crop tool is active. Since I rarely crop first thing, I have to press a shortcut key for some other tool to get rid of it. I find this extremely annoying. I remember changing that behavior in a previous version of PS, but can't remember how I did it. I've gone through the prefs to no avail, so can someone please enlighten me?

Im on a MacBook Pro, Sonoma 14.1.2.

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

PS remembers the last tool you used. Whatever tool have selected when you quit is the tool that will be selected when you open. If you had panel open, they will also be open and in the same place. If you want to start fresh each time, set up or reset your workspace. Have the panels open and placed where you want them, the tool selected you want to start with and save the workspace. Then you can just reset it. Upper right corner of your screen for workspaces. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/workspace-basics.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS remembers the last tool you used. Whatever tool have selected when you quit is the tool that will be selected when you open. If you had panel open, they will also be open and in the same place. If you want to start fresh each time, set up or reset your workspace. Have the panels open and placed where you want them, the tool selected you want to start with and save the workspace. Then you can just reset it. Upper right corner of your screen for workspaces. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/workspace-basics.html

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I knew it had to be simple! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines