Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I convert a photoshop file(with layers) to illustrator

New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been trying everything thing I know and looking on forums but had no luck

So I have tried in Photoshop to convert paths to Ai no luck and i have tried just opening the Ai file in Photoshop

I'm using Photoshop and illustrator cc 2018

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

It's not possible. "Layers" have a completely different meaning across the program. You will always have to compromise and some data will be flattened. This si not a smooth back and forth, nor is it intended to be.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible. "Layers" have a completely different meaning across the program. You will always have to compromise and some data will be flattened. This si not a smooth back and forth, nor is it intended to be.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I convert a photoshop file(with layers) to illustrator

i have tried just opening the Ai file in Photoshop

So what is it – get a layered psd file into Illustrator or the other way round?

If a Photoshop file contains meaningful vector data (Shape Layers effectively) exporting an svg file should produce data that Illustrator can utilise as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SInce Illustrator is a Vector imaging app and Photoshop being Raster,  trying to transfer a Photoshop file into Illustrator is possible, but its not going to really be pretty.  Illustrator files can transfer to Photoshop easier than the other way around. The layers are going to be wonky and flattened.  You might be able to work some parts of it into vector shapes by doing image trace, but there's going to potentially be some little artifacts and such that are going to mess with it.  Its going to take a little work to get it to transfer over.  The simpler the image the better.  If its not using a lot of layers and its flat, simple colors with not overly complicated shapes,  you're going to have better luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the content of the Photoshop file? Why do you want to open it in Illustrator?

Does the Photoshop file have shape layers? If so they can be saved as svg and opened in Illustrator.

Does the Photoshop file have paths? If so they can be exported for Illustrator or simply copied and pasted from Photoshop to Illustrator.

Does the Photoshop file have text? Is so you can copy and paste the text into Illustrator.

Photoshop files that contain images can be placed into Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How you would approach this depends on content but as others have written - a layered file can't be opened in illustrator. Why not save a copy and flatten it then place in illustrator. That way you save an archive copy of the Photoshop file with the layers intact (and that's a good idea given that layers increase editability)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines