• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I deselect a selection by clicking outside the selection

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was used to clicking outside a selection to deselect it, but somehow it doesn't work anymore. Now I need to click CMD-D to deselect but I want to get back to just clicking outside it. I can't find what to reset to be able to do this? Or did something change?

Thx

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Check your options toolbar - are you on the New Selection option or do you have one of the other options like add to or subtract from selection?

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1675714140378.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bart22088732jd2y It depends on what selection tool you are using.

The standard lasso tool and marquee tools allow you to deselect by clicking outside your selection, but the other tools like Quick Select, Magic Wand, Polygonal Lasso, etc. will either add to your current selection or start a new selection based on the nature of the tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply. It's actually the rectangular marquee tool. It was easy to deselect before but now I can't seem to find how to deselect by clicking outside anymore. Feels like I accidently hit a setting and I don't know which. By the way, every time I draw another marquee selection it just adds to the other one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your options toolbar - are you on the New Selection option or do you have one of the other options like add to or subtract from selection?

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1675714140378.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it! I had no idea. You just made my life easier again. Thank you very much, Kevin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has been having amazing updates the past few years but PLEASE STOP changing default settings that we've been using for years.  It's muscle memory for us long time users.  For new users it doesn't bother them but always makes my want to wait to upgrade becasue of it. With EVERY new release you have to research how to revert or turn off a splash screen.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@blakef60025489 this wasnt a default setting that changed - it is a sticky setting that once you click it, it remains until changed back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All I know is I never clicked on anything and it started when the Adobe AI generation fill started..  First noticed it in beta. But I'm sure it's user 🙂   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem and also had no idea. Thank you so much, Kevin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines