• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I make an inserted image partially background?

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

For explaing my question I will show you the image first:

Help.JPG

I would like to replace the frame with my own picture but keep the branches infront of it (red circle)! How can I do this? It is not that important to keep the reflection in the glass - I do not need it. 

I Hope you guys can help me with this, would be great!

Greetings,

Adelmore

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

comp Layers.jpg

This key is the Blend If command.

Fig 1. Duplicate background layer  

Fig 2.  Select the fragment shown and put it on its own layer 

Fig 3.  Add blank layer below it and turn off the two image layers.  Choose fragment layer, double click to bring up Layer Style  and move the top right slider as shown.  Then Layer > Merge Down to make a composite (single layer) of those two layers. Turn off the composite layer 

Fig 4. Turn on the Background Copy layer and insert the replacement photograph in the frame

Fig 5.  Turn on the top layer, the fragment layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for fast reply Norman,

Unluckily my picture looks like this when I follow your steps:

Unbenannt.JPG

I can move the slider more to the left but then it looks like this:

Unbenannt1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FinalFinalFinal.jpg

The fragment on the left in the image above is the one you just posted. The picture area is white because you saved the file as a jpg rather than take a screen shot of your result using Blend If. It does not pose a problem for my illustration above.

The fragment on there right was created using your final result.  I applied Blend If, as described in my original post and moved the top right slider to the left until the number shown by the arrow read 140, as it appeared in my original post.  Replicate it. Good luck!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I did a screenshot and that was the result!

And as you can see in the following picture when I follow your steps this is the outcome:

Unbenannt2.JPG

I do not know what I am doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a copy of your Layers panel and Channels panel. What is your color Mode and profile? From what you have just posted it looks as though the light values of the sprigs are the same value as the gray you must eliminate. It will make those light values go white as seen in my previous post. Your original post did not show that difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are my layers and channels:

4.JPGUnbenannt3.JPG

The "Passepartout" is the only layer which should be behind the sprigs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see from an earlier post, even using your unsucccessful image, by placing a transparent layer below it and then returning to the sprig layer and using Blend If, I obtained a succerssful result. Have you tried that?

Referring to your Layers Panel:

I am unfamiliar with the word "Passepartout" and assume it is what I would call a transparent layer -- which should be directly below the sprig layer. Everything below that transparent layer should be turned off (Gruppe 1 and Ebene 0) before you return to the sprig layer and choose Blend If, then make the slider adjustment and Merge Down to create the composite referred to in my original post. If you have done that you should be successful.  Good luck.    

(I do not know your the reason for the Whtie Frame layer at the top but it, too should be turned off before choosing Blend If.)   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Norman,

So first off all thank you for your patience with me - I am really sorry. "Passepartout" is something like a paper frame around the picture - around this "passepartout" is the original frame.

So to come back to the mission:

Unfortunately I still do not get the result I would like to have... Let me explain my steps:

1. turn off every layer except the background image (I unlocked it so it is named "Ebene 0")

2. I use the selection tool and select a square around the sprigs which should be infront of my picture after pasting it in

3. I right click the selected square and choose "new layer through copy"

4. turn off the background image ("Ebene 0")

5. double click the sprig layer and move the slider to 140 which leads to the following result:

Unbenannt.JPG

6. Place the sprigs layer above everything and turn on all layers which leads to this result:

Unbenannt1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An enlarged view of your Step 5 illustration shows that some gray appears to the right of the black frame. That indicates that the Blend If amount of 140 was insufficient to delete that gray on your image. I leave it to you to shift tne slider gently further left to sufficently to lose that gray. I also recommend you make the adjustment while looking at an enlarged. view of that area. Beyond that, there is not more I can offer. Good luck.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines