• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I automatically copy the dimensions and position of one layer to another

Participant ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to do the same manual process everytime and I wanna know if there's a way to make it automatic to release me from my suffering!

I have a text layer and I wanna make a shape layer have the same dimensions and position in the canvas, normally I do this by manually resizing and positioning the Shape layer, but I realized if press Ctrl + T, I have access to the size of the layer and it's position in the canvas, if I manually copy and paste these values from the Text Layer to the Shape Layer it does what I need, but I waste time doing that, so I wanna know if there's a way to do it automatically, a hidden feature or a script.

The text is always different, so I can't just use the same values everytime. See the images for an example.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

I will likely modify/update the following two scripts, however for now I hope that they serve.

EDIT – 7th August 2022, Scripts updated to 1.3 version:

Step 1 of 2:

/*
Resize Layer from Source - Script 1 of 2.jsx
Stephen Marsh, v1.3 - 7th August 2022
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-do-i-automatically-copy-the-dimensions-and-position-of-one-layer-to-another/td-p/13117557
NOTES:
Run this script on the source layer to copy the layer bounds info to the desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, "I hate" dialog alerts.

I wish they would add two things to actions...

- Beep

- Reminder, i.e., a temporary taskbar text balloon reminding you of options and intentions. (I kinda succeeded in doing that by having a helper app automatically close the Alert dialogs and instead put that text in a taskbar balloon, but it's really "too messy" to use).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My general thought process is;

If the script is short, a beep may be helpful.

If the script is longer, say a batch process, then an alert is more useful as the operator may have left the computer or app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines