• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Backup/Save All My Ps (2022) Actions B4 Updating to Ps 2023?

Engaged ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a long list of actions that are a mix of custom ones I've created & some I've downloaded from the Web.

Before I update to Ps 2023 (I planned to do it tomorrow - 11/29) I'm making sure Ps elements like my Actions, Brushes, Skies for Sky Replacement, etc. are backed up/saved to elsewhere on my PC so I don't 'accidentally' lose anything I care about having port forward to the new Ps release.

I work on a Win 11 Pro desktop PC.

Because I have lots of actions, brushes, skies, plugins, etc. I can't try to save or back them up 1 at a time.

How do I either locate & copy files or save/backup the diff. elements of concern from inside Ps each as their own full set of assets vs one at a time?

BTW, I already looked under my C: AppData > Roaming > Presets > Actions folder hierarchy (I looked in the correct place even if I'm missing a layer while typing here...) and there was zero content at the end of the folder hierarchy.

Thx in advance for any help!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can manually save each action set to .atn file, or a script can automate this for you. You can also try the .psp file route, however, this isn't a replacement for saving to .atn file.

More here:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/01/photoshop-custom-action-file-backup.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Stephen! I'll chk that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm reading the info at your link right now.

I'm downloading the 'ps-scripts' current rel. I assume that if/when I launch it it will ask me what I want to save and where I want to save it. Is that a good assumption? Or, is it only relevant for Ps Actions? And, does it control where the saves are placed  - with no input or change from me?

Also, the text at the link you provided above says that if I save to the default location it may/will affect the auto carry forward of the saved content. At least that's how I read what was written. So my inclination is to save elsewhere on my Win 11 Pro PC just so I have the .atn (etc.) files if needed. I don't want to wreck the process in which Ps asks, "Do you want [fill in the blank] carried forward to the new Ps release?" If it works, that's great - I don't want to have to add things manually. I'm just trying to be sure I have an insurance policy, so to speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save actions in default location or save them anywhere on your computer then load them in Photoshop, thats simplest answer. If you save in default ofered location Photoshop won't delete them when uninstalling previous/installing new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, but it is the 'how to' do the saves/backups for the full sets (vs 1 x 1 saves) vs a 'where to' that I need to understand.... Can you advise on the part I don't know also? That would be great,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean how to backup or save everything using one click? There isn't built in option to save all action sets from once if thats your question, perhaps script can do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I was hoping to find out. It sounds not doable. 

I just assumed the Adobe devs would build a feature into the 'hamburger' menues for Actions, Brushes, Skies, Extensions,  etc. to let users choose to Save a single one of those things or Save a selective set of those things or Save All (in one swoop). Darn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answers to all your questions can be found at my previously linked blogpost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx again, Stephen. I'm checking it out in the a.m. Very late tonite. But I wanted to reply to the other poster also since they were nice enough to respond too. Good to know your link will help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines