• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I blend parts of one layer to another CS6

Participant ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two copies of a photograph - one interpolated and the other without.

The images line up with one another in seperate layers but I want to copy/transfer/ blend parts of faces to the blurred one to enhance the quality of a final photo.

I am retouching an old photo with loads of tears and scratches and need assistance please.

Please can anyone offer tips and advice.

Beginner to intermediate level of knowledge

Thanks

Terry

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I most often do this is to transfer something like a face from another layer is like this:

• Make a rectangle selection with the marquee tool larger than the face.
  • Right Click > Layer Via Copy
  • I usually line up the face with the new layer, but it sounds like it lines up already.
  • And then mask out the extra space around the face, this allows me to feather in the selection in a sense and helps it to look more natural.

That's just one way of many though!  Let me know if I've misunderstood your dilemma.

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot would also be helpful here 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attach the two files. AAA is the original, bbb is one which has had scratches removed.

I want to copy the good detail from aaa to bbb so that I have restored the picture.

I'm doing it for a contributor to one of the facebook group pages.

I'd also like to know if there are any tutorials on how to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to directly answer your question, and then follow up a bit at the bottom.

Here's how to copy the details:

• Load both photos into Photoshop as layers.
  • Place the photo you want to copy the details from on top
  • Apply a black layer mask to the top photo by applying a mask and inverting or pressing Alt/Option when clicking the layer mask button.
  • Paint white on the mask for the details you wish to recover.

There are plenty of YouTube videos for photo restoration tutorials.  I'll report back if I find one that fits this situation well.

This photo is a very challenging photo to restore that borders on impossible in my opinion.  At the least, it is a several hours' long process with perhaps looking for donor photos for some of the details.  There is just a lot that is missing that won't work with the usual techniques of cloning.  I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying, bit only to set realistic expectations about the outcome.

I hope it works out 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you George_F for your full feedback.

I have had some success with this and attach my attempts so far.

I also have Adobe Photoshop elements on another computer to the side of me and I was able to stitch sections of the photograph together and apply a healing brush between the two layers.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Attached: enhanced.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your edit came out better than I would have expected, so cheers to that!  I'm glad you got it sorted 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines