• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do I build a template for a photo booth picture to print out?

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am VERY new to this.  VERY.  I am needing to build a template that holds 2 pics on a 4x6 for a photo booth event.  I have no idea where to start.  Please advise

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First: This depends if it is to be used in an automatic way by the photo booth. Then you need to look at the requirements for the booth. This link gives you an idea on how to do that: Photobooths | How To Create a Photo Booth Template | Photobooths (just to say that we do not endorse any product presented there. All booth systems have similar requirements/procedures).

If you want creating a Photoshop template, so that you can manually insert your data, look at above link to get an idea on how it could be and create a Photoshop file with 3+ layers:

• Background,
  • photos (each photo on it's own layer or all pictures on the same depends on the complexity. I would use one layer/photo, because I'm lazy and I would like sometimes to reshuffle the data and that works best with separate layers),
  • foreground (the foreground can also be a complex layered structure...

Look here for the layer basics (Learning layer basics in Photoshop ) and come back if you have specific questions.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

comp.png

Assume the area is 4 x 6. If you provide a 1/8" margin around each image, the images, each one is 2.75" x 3.75"

File > New: 6" x 4" 240 ppi RGB Color, Background: white

Checkmark: View > Rulers

Click and drag out reference lines 1/8" from the four sides and 1/4" down the middle (Fig, 1)

Use the Rectangular Marquee tool the draw a marching ants Selection to the reference lines. (Fig 2)Edit > Fill and fill each box with black. (Fig 3)

Select > Deselect the marching ants. Drag the reference lines whence they came. (I love the word "whence")

Open an image and crop to a final Image > Image size of 2.75" x 3.75 240 ppi

Select > All

Edit > Copy

Return to the template and use the Magic Wand to click on the first black rectangle.

Edit > Paste Special > Paste into

Repeat for the second template rectangle (Fig 4)

Deselect marching ants

Note: If your inkjet requires a larger than 1/8" margin, adjust your layout for it before calculating margins and image sizes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you ever end up needing the strip, I have a template I can provide. The company I work for has a photo booth company for weddings and such

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom might do a pretty good job for you here too, if you go to the print module then you can set up a custom template to your specifications. As you shoot your images can be retouched and cropped to the size you need then via the print module, sent to your printer which is loaded with 6x4 paper.

here's how I setup the template. First go to the print module and go to page setup and make a 6x4 page, assuming you don't already have one. I set mine up with a 3mm bleed all round but it will depend upon your printer.

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 10.15.10.jpg

Then on your blank 6x4, add a custom size cell. It really doesn't matter what you add as the picture box had bounding boxes so you can drag the image area to suit your needs.

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 10.15.54.jpg

Save the template in your user presets folder and it can be used whenever you require. Lightroom will handle your colour management in exactly the same way as Photoshop so if you printer is already handling your colour you can set that up in the same way.

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 10.17.09.jpg

The benefit of LR in this scenario is that you could potential shoot, edit and organise in LR, then go straight to the Print module and have all the files ready in the film strip to drag and drop.

Remember that Lightroom is part of the CC Photographers package so if you subscribe then you are good to go. If you don't have access to lighroom then the post from norman.sanders​ as above will work equally as well in photoshop.

Hope that is useful.

Butch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines