• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change a curved line thickness as it goes?

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to make a design that involves lines with different thicknesses on the same curved line. Is it possible? I can't find anyone else asking about it!

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

If you mean what I think you mean, there are brushes that can do it. You can make your own. Here are three angled brushes I use, next to the strokes they make (you can play with the thickness and angle etc):

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean what I think you mean, there are brushes that can do it. You can make your own. Here are three angled brushes I use, next to the strokes they make (you can play with the thickness and angle etc):

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Monique236926556xja 

Leslie has a good answer for Photoshop's brushes. If you also have Adobe Illustrator, it includes a Width tool for variable width strokes. You can create multiple width points and drag them out/in as far as you want to achieve the desired effect.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/tool-techniques/width-tool.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, this. Another approcah is to create the shape you want in Illustrator then bring it into Photoshop as a Smart Object that can be edited if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both Photoshop and Illustrator, changing the width of a stroke as you draw or paint is much easier using a graphics tablet with a pressure-sensitive stylus. Then you can control the width by how hard you press down the stylus tip while drawing.

There is also a very manual way to create these kinds of designs, if you’re familiar with using the Pen tool to draw and edit vector paths. (1) Draw a path, (2) duplicate and offset it, (3) connect both into one closed path, (4) convert to a shape layer and fill the shape. At any time you can change the shape layer path by editing its points and handles.

Photoshop-stroke-manual-width-drawing.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Calligraphy presets are good for freehand drawing, but if you want a brush stroke to decrease gradually in size thoughout its stroke, then set Size Jitter to Fade.  To give yourself complete control of the brush stroke, make a workpath and stroke the path with Simulate Pressure checked.  The fade rate is a function of brush size and spacing.

image.png

You can combine the effects, but note that Calligraphy presets tend to have very tight spacing, so need higher values for Fade.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines