• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a radial transparency gradient using CC Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a start, I am using the new Creative Cloud attempt from Adobe. In 6 months, the only consistent documented behavior from photoshop around transparency gradient adjustment layers is to deselect all layers and then select just one layer to use for the failed Photoshop transparency effect.

I have not found any tutorials that I can duplicate on my machine. Either the tools will not appear 99% of time, or when they do 1% of time they do not work as described, work erratically, or do not work at all. Using any steps advised by support, I have got the CC Photoshop to perform a linear gradient from layer to black background. That is all CC Photoshop can do consistently for me. For multi-step tutorials, the steps are consistent, but CC Photoshop popups and resutls literally change with each gradient attempt. Freaky application failures. 100% of time CC Photoshop fails, applying the gradient from an object in foreground to a black background. Layer foreground to black background must be the default. Anything else fails and is highly erratic. It is as if this CC Photoshop is intended as a suppliment to whatever they are using in the tutorials. For example, If I had the money for a full Photoshop CS6 box, everything would work fine? CC Photoshop is a total fail on this computer. Adobe telephone support results the same failure as "help' tutorials. I am always going to get a call back "with a resolution". but the callback never comes, or it comes with the excuse "we are working on this". I have no idea what they are working on at Adobe. All I want is a Foreground to Background transparency gradient for a selected layer... ever since the CC beta trial appeared a year ago. For example, how do I create a radial transparency gradient using CC Photoshop?

By the way, I am an amature systems developer. My Symantec security is free. I am always on the telephone with Microsoft Engineers and techs. And so on... I am not an airhead complaining and fumbling around. This CC Photoshop is fine for all the basics except the transparency gradient. What gives, CC? Where do we go from here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your Photoshop CC is flaky, it's something about your system that's making it so.

Photoshop CC is rock solid for me.

Can you describe how, in step by step fashion, you're able to reproduce a problem or something that doesn't seem right?  I'm sure there are people here who would like to try to reproduce what you're seeing and possibly offer advice.

It might actually be helpful if you'd describe your computer and OS setup as well.

-Noel

P.S., just as an example of a way to do a radial gradient to transparency of sorts...

1.  Draw an oval path (e.g., with the Ellipse Tool).

2.  Add a Vector mask to a pixel layer using the current path.

3.  Adjust the Feathering in the Properties panel.

There are other ways, e.g., with pixel masks.

RadialVectorGradientToTransparency.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System: Machine version ALASKA-1072009. Intel-Asus P8Z77-VPRO mb, Intel 3770K 3.5GHZ (listed) 3.9GHZ (actual clock speed, hardware default, not 'jacked', likely due to Intel mb components which regulate CPU-RAM). 32GB DIMM, 8192@. Video 2 cards both AMD HD6970 2GB in crossfire. two pro graphics displays as Asus ProArt PA246Q setting video mode to 1920x1200, 4,294,967,296 colors. OS and data disks all Intel SSD 5200 series. Windows 8 with applications like Photoshop install to C 380GB, 80% free. Photoshop and all other applications use data disk D 120GB, 50% free. Sata disk E 120GB, 50% free - used for installs and system development informations.

Photoshop fail: Ps cannot safely deploy cache space except on C, where it default assigns space consumed by Windows caching. This C space conflict does not interfere with OS function, but it is worthy of concern.

Photoshop fail: Ps cannot consistently perform transparent gradients. 99% of attempts fail. When that 1% comes along (PHEW) when same attempt is made, 99% failure rate. On one occassion in six (6) months two consecutive transparecy gradients were performed, To make matters worse, there are a number of methods to preform a transparency gradient, and success seems to jump from one technique to another, so eve the method path is problematic. Transparent gradient failure in the CC Photoshop procuct is compounded and extremely inconsistent, making resilution for support... a NIGHTMARE.

Method: identify layer to recieve transparent gradient, and click left workspace toolbar Gardient Tool. Deselect all Layer panel layers and then select only the target layer by pressing combinations (see above, NIGHTMARE) of ctrl-layerbar and/or ctrl-layerbarthumbnail and/or alt-layerbar and/or alt-layerbarthmbnail. Once target is selected, use the panel bottom Create new adjustment layer (note that on one occasion, all else failing, gradient transparency success without any adjustment layer ) selecting Gradient and/or gradient map... and/or Adjustments tab Create new gradient map... and/or menu Layer, New adjustment layer, gradient map. Now, the rest is simple workspace selections that seem to perform as intended, when forgoing "and/or" chaos presents 'opportunity (see above, NIGHTMARE)'. Note that during this less chaotic post-chaos section of Method, at any time there may be a traditional Gradient Tool floating panel (or window) popup - no actions in the popup are transfered to the workspace. Next step, from Topbar (naturally changing for Gradient Tool options) select  Click to edit gradient and select Foreground to transparent. Now drag mouse icon across layer to effect gradient.

Disclaimer: thousands and thousands of failures, combined with expert application experience and multiple 'performance' options have resulted in far more 'methods' than the simple and/or, above. However, Noel has requested a description of machie and method. Hope this helps, more than it confuses. Btw, 'tier 2' technical support has refered this multiple times to "a 'higher' level" that was supposed to call back... 6 months and waiting. Today as we cancelled a raft of Adobe subscription serviecs, it occured to us, on the telephone, that the 'missing' call back might mysteriously appear, if the next request goes through the money desk, and not the help desk (again).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This could be explained by trying to use Windows 8 for serious work.  It seems that folks who have decided to hang back and continue to use Windows 7 are having a better time of it.

It's late now, but perhaps tomorrow I'll try to follow what you've described and see if I can reproduce what you're seeing on my Windows 7 setup.

By the way, you wrote:

Mark.Stewart wrote:

Photoshop fail: Ps cannot safely deploy cache space except on C, where it default assigns space consumed by Windows caching. This C space conflict does not interfere with OS function, but it is worthy of concern.

What do you mean by this?  Are you getting error messages or failures of some sort when you try to set one of the other drives as the primary scratch disk?  You kind of need to use the exact terminology, or you risk confusion.

How have you set up your Windows 8 system - is it pretty much set up as per the out-of-box defaults?  Have you changed the UAC settings?  Have you tried running Photoshop As Administrator?

I've written a book (well over 100 pages) on how to set up a Windows 8 system to be a real workhorse.  It's further from being able to be that out of the box than any prior Windows release there's ever been.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines