• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create this lens flare/warm glow?

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! I have a pretty good understanding of Photoshop and am self-taught however I'm struggling to create a similar lens flare / warm glow like the image below. I'm struggling to find youtube videos that match the effect I'm trying to achieve. Can anyone help me? 

Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 1.36.15 pm.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to say how it was done on your example, but you could try this:

With the original photo on the bottom layer, I added a Color Fill layer with red, set the layer to Multiply blend mode, lowered the opacity to 67%, and lightened the red on the backgroiund using a layer mask.

Then I added a Gradient Fill layer with a yellow/orange Radial gradient, added a layer mask, made an  elliptical selection in the mask, filled with black outside the selection, set the layer opacity to 80%. 

Experiment with the layer blend modes and amount of layer opacity, and the areas you want to mask.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Barbara! I will try this technique today and let you know how I go 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My guess is that is not an effect, but is a real lens flare from shooting with a strong back light.

To simulate it, and another way would be to use a custom gradient.

Warp the gradient (I tried using a radial gradient but could not get it to the right shape)

Blur the gradient layer to soften the outline. but note a lot of the gradient is out of frame so the left edge is not blured.

image.png

In case you don't know, you can reduce the opacity of one end of the gradient as below.

image.png

To finish the effect I added a layer with blend mode set to Color and with opacity reduced way down to 10%

You could do the same thing with a Hue/Sat layer with Colorize checked.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines