• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I crop an image to exact pixel dimensions with the crop tool?

Advocate ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have images that are various sizes, I need to crop to set pixel dimensions. I want to use the crop tool so I can visually see what the result will look like before I hit return and have my finished image. My problem is, I don't know how to adjust the crop tool tool to give me a read out, 'info' palette doesn't, so I can see the final numbers before I commit to the crop.

Does that make sense... I'm having trouble expressing my request here, I'll wait for responses before garbling it up any worse...

TIA,

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

You can opt to insert pixel dimensions in the w and h boxes at the top. 500px  and then 750px

you can define by inches if you like. 10in by 20in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken

The trick is to add 'px' to your values using the W x H x Resolution option from the drop down.  That will force the crop window to the correct aspect ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know setting the aspect ratio but I want to set the pixel dimensions not the aspect ratio. I need to crop to a set size, different for each image. What I am looking for is a 'read out' of pixel dimensions for the crop tool, if there is something like that available. The answer may be contained in some of the links given here, I'm not sure yet until I can check them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can opt to insert pixel dimensions in the w and h boxes at the top. 500px  and then 750px

you can define by inches if you like. 10in by 20in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop are you working with?

When you click on the crop tool in CS6 or newer, at the top under file and edit is a drop down menu where you can choose by ratio or you can choose custom.  If you choose custom you then type in px or in you are wanting for h and w.

use the tool to select the crop desired and it will restrain the box to the dimensions you requested.

Here re is a great tutorial on cropping for you to watch by Jesus Ramirez of The Photoshop Training Channel:

How To Use The Content Aware Crop In Photoshop - YouTube 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video by Julieanne Kost The Content-Aware Crop Tool in Photoshop CC - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines