• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do I export layers as .png without loosing the size and placement of the particular layer?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, this is driving me crazy. I am exporting my layers individually and I lose the size and where this layer was placed. In my 1st Photo see how the 3 hearts are covering basically the whole canvas? 2nd pic there are no hearts but all that color are hair, shirt, eyes, back ground... I am using export as, now I go to canvas and input the proper px width, height, I also preserve details, then export it and now as seen in the 3rd pic I have the size that I originally wanted but the placement is still in the middle of the canvas. I dont understand what im doing wrong. Ive got a project with 18 groups each consisting of no less than 15 layers. Ive already gone thru 3 seperate times exporting individually thinking Ive figured it out but I havent and that is time consuming and definately tries my patience. what should I do?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you need to add registration marks to your design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are marks placed outside the cropped/ active area to allow the printer to align the layers (or letterpress plates, as the case may be). It can be those target icons or any other mark, and they get cropped/trimmed off. For my work (greeting cards), it's crop marks that are used.

adobe-crop.jpgadobe-crop2.jpgadobe-crop3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check Photoshop help, Adobe covers the registration mark features in depth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will look this up, although I am not sure this is it, but really, what do I know? Ive been going thru the community help for hours and hours and found someone askingg the very same question I am and I followed the answer given which he said was exactly what he needed. I was real excited but I was unable to get the resyults, hell I was unable to get any results. I actually got user did something I dont know but I know I didnt do anything but get my children dressed for school. So...  It has to do with .png16 I think. Layer to file. Have either of you heard of this and maybe have used this? Either way thank you both for your time and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its really difficult to understand what you want. Please tell use EXACTLY what you want to have when you finish exporting these png files. The way I read your first post, you want to export files that will register correctly as when you have the layers in your original file? That what registration marks are for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is an nft project that will have any where from 1000 to 5000 completely different pieces built from these many layers, and all have the one focal point. After exporting all the layers I will use Visual Studio Code and build them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be an issue with new vs. legacy export as behaviour... Or perhaps an issue with quick export vs export as behaviour, or perhaps you need to use legacy save for web or good old save as etc.

EDIT: Does the following topic thread contain similar issues to what you are experiencing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes. this is exactly the issue. and most are right regarding this stops many of us dead in our tracks with our workflow. i didnt think about every single template i have and that is tens of thousands .psd files are all going to have this same problem. ouch. i will go and swap to legacy and see how that goes down in the morning. thank you all for any help or feed back and sorry i didnt explain my issue well, that happens to be another of my issues. have a good day. oh and if it works or doesnt ill let you know, thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be workarounds via scripts until Adobe get on top of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im not quite sure what scripts are but I truly believed i had figured it out and have been all super secret squierrel about it until i was able to re-export and re-name and re-everything basically for the hundreth time but it doesnt matter. i suck. im close but its off and i can not put this out as art or anything really respectable under my name. but maybe... nevermind. booooooooooooooo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scripts are similar to actions but more powerful, they are use code (JavaScript, Apple Script or VB Script)  rather than "macro" recordings via an interface as is the case with actions.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-actions.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scripting.html

If you look in Photoshop's File menu, Scripts there are some that come pre-installed with Photoshop. 

(If you search the web for more info you will learn a lot, these are just basic starter links).

There are two workarounds if you can't resolve the issue with retaining the correct position of the image content and position relative to the canvas transparency:

1) Use an action or script to place a 1x1 pixel at 1% opacity in the opposite upper/lower corners of the image in order for the export to retain the transparent canvas size and the position of the image relative to the transparent canvas.

2) Or use a script that will automate the save of every separate top-level layer or layer set using the save as or legacy save for web feature that will retain the position/size as you require. I'll post a couple of scripts shortly with a link to instructions on how to save/install/run the scripts.

EDIT: A couple worth trying from Paul Riggott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This scipt will save as to PNG every top-level layer or layer group as a separate image. I have not added checks or graceful handling of duplicate layer names, the expectation is that every layer will produce a unique filename.

/*
All top level layers saved to PNG.jsx
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-do-i-export-layers-as-png-without-loosing-the-size-and-placement-of-the-particular-layer/m-p/12734226
Stephen Marsh, 5th February 2022 - v1.0
Based on:
https://damienfremont.com/2019/05/25/how-to-photoshop-script-export-layers-to-png-files/
Note: Existing files will be overwritten!
*/

#target photoshop

if (app.documents.length > 0) {

try {
        var outputPath = app.activeDocument.path.fsName;
    } catch (e) {
        var outputPath = Folder.selectDialog("Unsaved base file, select the output folder:");
    }

for (var i = 0; i < app.activeDocument.layers.length; i++) {
        for (var j = 0; j < app.activeDocument.layers.length; j++) {
            app.activeDocument.layers[j].visible = false;
        }
        var layerIndex = i;
        app.activeDocument.layers[layerIndex].visible = true;

var layerName = app.activeDocument.layers[layerIndex].name.replace(/[^a-z0-9 _-]/gi, '').replace(/ +|-+|_+$/g, '');
        var filename = app.activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
        var file = new File(outputPath + "/" + filename + "_" + layerName + ".png");

var saveOptions = new PNGSaveOptions();
        saveOptions.compression = 0; // 0-9
        saveOptions.interlaced = false;
        app.activeDocument.saveAs(file, saveOptions, true, Extension.LOWERCASE);
    }
    alert("PNG files saved to:" + "\r" + outputPath);

} else {
    alert("You must have a document open!");
}

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, if I want to save the layers in a specific folder and not the folder of the orginal files, which lines of code should I replace with the path of the folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, if I want to save the layers in a specific folder and not the folder of the orginal files, which lines of code should I replace with the path of the folder?

By @Dã Hạc30787016q755

If you wish to use a dialog to select, change this try/catch block from:

try {
    } catch (e) {
        var outputPath = Folder.selectDialog("Unsaved base file, select the output folder:");
    }

To:

var outputPath = Folder.selectDialog("Select the output folder:");

Or if you prefer to use a common, cross-platform location such as the user's Desktop, or Documents folders:

var outputPath = "~/Desktop";

Otherwise put in the full path to the folder/directory...

Mac example:

var outputPath = "/Users/user name/the folder"

Windows example (directory path using cross-platform JS single forward slashes): 

var outputPath = "C:/the parent folder/the child directory";

Windows example (directory path using Windows back slashes, but they need to be JS escaped/double): 

var outputPath = "C:\\the parent folder\\the child directory";

Have fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I tried all of the methods but none of them worked, I don't understand why.

This doesn't work

var outputPath = "H:/My Drive/OCR";

or this

var outputPath = "H:\\My Drive\\OCR";

or this

var outputPath = Folder.selectDialog("Select the output folder:");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my bad, I script mostly for Mac...

Try

c\\my folder

or 

c/my folder

Removing the colon.

The code to select the folder should have worked when the others didn't...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry to bother you again, but it still didn't work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post the code in full so that it can be debugged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to the previous script, this version uses Save for Web to export to PNG every top-level layer or layer group as a separate image. I have not added checks or graceful handling of duplicate layer names, the expectation is that every layer will produce a unique filename.

/*
All top level layers exported to PNG.jsx
Stephen Marsh, 5th February 2022 - v1.0
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-do-i-export-layers-as-png-without-loosing-the-size-and-placement-of-the-particular-layer/m-p/12734226
Based on:
https://damienfremont.com/2019/05/25/how-to-photoshop-script-export-layers-to-png-files/
Note: Existing files will be overwritten!
*/

#target photoshop

if (app.documents.length > 0) {

try {
    } catch (e) {
    }

for (var i = 0; i < app.activeDocument.layers.length; i++) {
        for (var j = 0; j < app.activeDocument.layers.length; j++) {
            app.activeDocument.layers[j].visible = false;
        }
        var layerIndex = i;
        app.activeDocument.layers[layerIndex].visible = true;

var layerName = app.activeDocument.layers[layerIndex].name.replace(/[^a-z0-9 _-]/gi, '').replace(/ +|-+|_+$/g, '');
        var filename = app.activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');

var pngOptions = new ExportOptionsSaveForWeb();
        pngOptions.PNG8 = false;
        pngOptions.transparency = true;
        pngOptions.interlaced = false;
        pngOptions.quality = 100;
        pngOptions.includeProfile = true;
        pngOptions.format = SaveDocumentType.PNG;
        app.activeDocument.exportDocument(File(outputPath + "/" + filename + "_" + layerName + ".png"), ExportType.SAVEFORWEB, pngOptions);
    }
    alert("PNG files saved to:" + "\r" + outputPath);

} else {
    alert("You must have a document open!");
}

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont want you to think i am ignoring you or the time you spend trying to help me. I appreciate it very much. unfortuneatly I have some family issues I must deal with before I can put my head into this. I will get to this and thank you very much for your time and help. I will let you know how it goes when I am able to. thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since six and the half week passed can you make a time to try shared solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines