Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I HIDE a SELECTION?

Engaged ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

APS 24.1 in Ventura 13.1, 19,1 iMac

I make a selection (dotted ants), how the heck do I hide the selection? Isn't there a show/hide toggle keystroke anymore?

Trying to Live Simply
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

I make a selection (dotted ants), how the heck do I hide the selection? Isn't there a show/hide toggle keystroke anymore?

By @PhotoBoy

This has not changed in a long time, it’s still the View > Extras command and its keyboard shortcut shown next to that command on the menu. If you aren’t sure what the current shortcut is, you can always look there. If you think it’s changed, it might have gotten reset to a state you’re not used to.

Command-H was the original Photoshop shortcut for View > H

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a selection and check View menu>Extras and, of course, any options you may have set under that option (Extras). 

On this end, Command H still shows and hides Marching Ants. But that can change based on your own settings. 

View.png

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @PhotoBoy

This has not changed in a long time, it’s still the View > Extras command and its keyboard shortcut shown next to that command on the menu. If you aren’t sure what the current shortcut is, you can always look there. If you think it’s changed, it might have gotten reset to a state you’re not used to.

Command-H was the original Photoshop shortcut for View > Hide Extras which does what you want. When Apple released Mac OS X over 20 years ago, Apple took Command-H for Hide Application. So the first time you press the Command-H shortcut, Photoshop now asks you which way you want to use Command-H. It’s possible that you might have clicked through these alerts a long time ago and forgotten about them, because they appear only once.

Photoshop-Cmd-H-warnings.png

As the second message says, you can always change the shortcut to whatever you want, using Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts. Just edit the shortcut for View > Extras.

Photoshop Keyboard Shortcuts Hide Extras.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for anyone to look at the existing menus I provide and show me what to change after I DELETE the Apple+H circled? I want to toggle guidelines hide/show.

xx.jpg

Trying to Live Simply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, first you need to get the terminology straight, because several things are mentioned and they’re different. That might be why you aren’t getting what you want.

I want to toggle guidelines hide/show.

By @PhotoBoy

Guidelines are different than what you said in the first post, where you said you wanted to hide the selection marquee (marching ants/animated dashed line). Guidelines are the non-printing solid cyan guides that you can drag out of the rulers.

The traditional keyboard shortcut for non-printing items (Command-H) was associated with what is now the View > Extras command. If that’s want you want to set up again, the View > Extras shortcut is the one you want to edit.

But keep in mind that View > Extras toggles every item on the View > Show submenu that is checked (√). This is where it becomes important which specific thing you want to toggle.

For example, if you want to toggle ONLY the selection marquee and not other non-printing extras like the grid and guides, then instead of creating a shortcut for View > Extras, you should create one just for View > Show > Selection Edges. My guess is that this is what you want to do.

Photoshop-keyboard-shortcut-Selection-Edges.jpg

If when you said “guidelines” you literally do want to toggle just the solid cyan non-printing guidelines and not the selection marquee or any other extras, then create a shortcut for View > Show > Guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU!! This was driving me crazy. I have a habit of hiding the marching ants when I want to see clearly when i paint the selection, and out of habit I continually hide PHOTOSHOP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, ok, I understand, I think, thanks to your patience. If I understand correctly, I HIDE EXTRAS, not only guides. I deleted the previous Apple+H, and added the command to EXTRAS, where all EXTRAS are hidden now toggling Apple+H. Sorry it took so long to clarify for me. Thanks everyone for your patience.

Trying to Live Simply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my words got mixed. Sorry. Selection is what I wanted to hide.

Trying to Live Simply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines