• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make a photo on a layer gradient fade using the brush tool?

Advocate ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a photo on a layer that I want to gradually fade into the background selectively using the brush tool. This would be like a linear gradient but controlled using the brush tool. Is this possible in Photoshop? Your help is greatly appreciated on this... Any links to a tutorial would be great also.

TIA,
Ken

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

You can add a Layer Mask to your photo layer (click the 3rd icon from the left at the bottom of the Layers panel). Then use the brush to paint where you want the edges to fade. On the Layer Mask, black hides the pixels of the photo while white shows them. Gray creates semi-transparency. Here's more information about Layer Masks:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add a Layer Mask to your photo layer (click the 3rd icon from the left at the bottom of the Layers panel). Then use the brush to paint where you want the edges to fade. On the Layer Mask, black hides the pixels of the photo while white shows them. Gray creates semi-transparency. Here's more information about Layer Masks:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You. I should have been able to figure this out, but under the pressures gets the thinking scattered sometime. Perfect answer and appreciation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand your request correctly, you would use a mask and paint on it with a brush instead of a gradient, and set the brush flow to a slow setting like 1%-10%.  It'll take a bit of experimenting to figure out exactly how slow or fast you want the flow to be.  And then paint away on the mask from there!  If you want to start with a black mask, just press Ctrl + I on a white mask to invert it.

You can also set the gradient tool to circular if you are looking for an alternative.  I'm willing to bet there are many ways to accomplish this.

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks George_F, I'm rolling along with this now, thanks for the tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines