Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I remove checkered background which is removing my background

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

There is nothing to be removed. The checkerboard is not actually in your document. Its how Photoshop represent transparent area to you in Photoshop. If you do not like that checkerboard you can change how Photoshop displays transparency in you Photoshop's preferences.

If you add a visible Background layer  to your document there will be no transparency in you document.  Photoshop's background layer does not support transparency.  Its canvas will have some color.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys please find attached... I've realised this is a layer mask which is creating the background. My aim is to have the satellite image as a light grey but it is showing up with this checkered pattern and when I export to image it completely removes the background.Layer Mask- how do i remove checkered pattern.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this to revert your NEW paint (3D app), back to your OLD (Win 7 ype) original no frills "paint program"
When taking a fullscreen screenshot, without the taskbar.
... USE ALT  and the PRNT SCRN button.
ie:
Press Alt + PrtScn. This copies the active window to the clipboard, which you can paste into another program.
It also auto removes the taskbar - as it isn't part of the "current active screen".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RATS:
Stupid comments section DOES NOT ALLOW EDITING, when one needs to edit a comment, so I will>>>

DO IT AGAIN.
Re:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-do-i-remove-checkered-background/m-p/14209980#M763518 
(deliberately UNLINKED to allow you to read the next bit):

EDITED:

Try this to revert your NEW paint (3D app), back to your OLD (Win 7 ype) original no frills "paint program"

I found a simple way. (searching for the way to stop video editor opening chimpanzee app (clipchamp)
SETTINGS > Apps > Advanced App Settings > App execution aliases

[ - ] Microsoft ClipChamp (clipchamp.exe) .................................................... (toggle it "off") ....... [ON / OFF]
Bingo - problem solved, Clipchamp will NOT auto turn on, instead you can now "re-see" the older "video editor/s" you used to see..

I found this method, when searching for the OLD (original 40 yr old) MS Paint, without the NEW 3D checkerboard crap.

SETTINGS > Apps > Advanced App Settings > App execution aliases
Right there, under the new MS CHIMPANZEE APP (clipchamp.exe)

Paint (mspaint.exe) & Paint (pbrush.exe) BOTH OF THE TWO NEW PAINT EXE's need to be toggled OFF
When re-installing the original OLD (pre latest "downdates / updates") MS Paint program.
Toggling OFF both new exe's - allows the original win 7 MS Paint program to run, when PAINT is opened.
Without any checkerboard, and without any 3D apps either.

If it works with PAINT to turn the auto-start exe OFF, then Chimpanzees can take a backseat too - by being toggled OFF.

ALSO (someone asked / somewhere in here)
How to NOT SEE the taskbar when taking a full screen screenshot?

When taking a fullscreen screenshot, without the taskbar.
... USE ALT  and the PRNT SCRN button.
ie:
Press Alt + PrtScn. This copies the active window to the clipboard, which you can paste into another program.
It also auto removes the taskbar - as it isn't part of the "current active screen".

Anything else, use the old way of:
Trial and (OMG - I DELETED EVERYTHING) = Error?
If anything is done wrong, it can (generally) be found to still exist somewhere... ?
(& if not, then buying another PC - works for me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing to be removed. The checkerboard is not actually in your document. Its how Photoshop represent transparent area to you in Photoshop. If you do not like that checkerboard you can change how Photoshop displays transparency in you Photoshop's preferences.

If you add a visible Background layer  to your document there will be no transparency in you document.  Photoshop's background layer does not support transparency.  Its canvas will have some color.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jmack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?
Nothing to remove..?
Have you NOT seen the new PAINT program for Win 11 yet as it displays a checkerboard (when a picture is resized or moved)
THERE IS SOMETHING TO BE REMOVED and that is the nonsensical checkerboard itself.
PAINT always used to simply show a blank (white) canvas when something was moved or the canvas area stretched.
Now all we seem to be able to get is the USELESS grey checkerboard feature which IS NOT A BLANK CANVAS.
I need to be able to alter the background (layer behind the main picture) to show/display a nominated colour (ie: WHITE ) instead of a ruddy useless CHECKERBOARD picture.

AND DO NOT START ON ABOUT PAINT BEING PHOTOSHOP.!!!

PAINT is and always has been a windows "simple" paint canvas.
I DO NOT HAVE ANY "PHOTOSHOP" FEATURE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Keith33389898mmzb 

1) JJMack has sadly passed on

In Photoshop (I can't comment on Paint in Win 11), you can either change the transparency checkerboard display or simply place a coloured layer or a Background layer at the bottom of the layer stack so that there are opaque pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The solution might be one quick step. If you want the results to be opaque after cropping a Background layer, select Delete Cropped Pixels before cropping, in the options bar for the Crop tool. Compare how it works on the left and right sides of the demo below. The only difference is that on the left, Delete Cropped Pixels is enabled.

Photoshop Crop tool expand canvas Delete Cropped Pixels disabled.gif

I know that is not obvious from how the option is named, but I realized it might help after remembering that when Delete Cropped Pixels is disabled, the result is not clipped by the canvas, and that requires transparency. I thought maybe enabling the option would prevent transparency, and it turns out that is correct. So, I actually learned something by trying a solution for your question: Until now, I didn’t realize Delete Cropped Pixels could do this too.

If it turns out that this was a very simple solution all along, you may want to reconsider writing such an angry post with all the capital letters denigrating the transparency checkerboard as “useless.” It’s a valuable indicator that professionals use to clearly recognize the difference between an actual transparent background, and an opaque white background. You may find you get better help if you ask politely if there a simple solution, instead of publicly demonstrating to other professionals that you do not want to respect a valuable feature they need to use in commercial image production (for example, when a client requires all images to have transparent, not white, backgrounds, so you need to be able to verify that as you work).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines