• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do i save a file as PDF/X1a 2001 for printing??

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!! 

i'm having hard time in saving my files as PDF/X1a2001

When i save as it, a error message appears as "impossible to save because of program error"?? Can somebody help with that? Printer also ask me to delete ICC COLORS profiles...I'm using photoshop cs6

Thank you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Printer also ask me to delete ICC COLORS profiles...«

What did they ask for exactly?

PDF/X have to have a defined OutputIntent, so the request seems unclear. 

Can you provide the file? 

What is the Color Space of the original image and what is the Target Space? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, unless your printer has specifically asked for PDF/X-1, the recommended format is PDF/X-4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

if the printer asks you to delete ICC colour profiles, that's maybe because their RIP (which makes the plates) doesn't like embedded ICC profiles. This is not an entirely unusual request.

In colourmanagement workflow, we generally like ICC profiles to be embedded in files, because that tells us (in the case of CMYK) how that CMYK was made, i.e. what ink recipes were used. Those ink recipes and inklimits are specific to press and paper types, any old CMYK just won't do.

more here: https://www.colourmanagement.net/advice/about-icc-colour-profiles/

and: https://www.colourmanagement.net/advice/prepress/

In this case, because it's been requested, it's OK to save your images without profiles embedded, BUT - and this is IMPORTANT - when you made the CMYK conversion from RGB originals (or when you set up your blank document) you MUST use the right CMYK ICC profile. There are standards for this such as ISO 12647 and in the US GRACoL, but, ideally, the printer themselves would tell you what they want.  CMYK made for a different press type or paper type isn't going to print nearly as well as when its 'separated*' correctly 

*separated means making CMYK fromk RGB, the ink values are calculated, thoise values are needed to reproduce (as well as possible) the RGB original colours - so its super important to get the CMYK ICC prfile used in this conversion right. Please DO NOT just use Photoshop's default of SWOP coated unless you are specifically told to, even for the USA that’s out of date now. And its entirely irrelevant for European print. 

I hope this helps

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My printer requires PDF/X1a.

How do I convert my PDF into a PDF/X1a? 

This is the only reason I have Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One can use Acrobat Pro to convert pdfs or one can save/export them properly right away. 

Do you actually save a pdf-copy from a file in Photoshop? 

Because if you want to edit existing pdfs Photoshop would be a truly bad fit for the task, what with the destruction of vector/type data. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Mythos35099601y2es 

see this note

About Photoshop PDF format

You can use the Save As command to save RGB, indexed-color, CMYK, grayscale, Bitmap-mode, Lab color, and duotone images in Photoshop PDF format. Because the Photoshop PDF document can preserve Photoshop data, such as layers, alpha channels, notes, and spot color, you can open the document and edit the images in Photoshop CS2 or later.

Note: 

You can quickly save a file as Photoshop PDF by playing the Save As Photoshop PDF action on the file. You can access this action by choosing Production from the Actions panel menu.

For advanced users, the Photoshop PDF format offers options for making the document PDF/X compliant, which is essential, for example, when you send your document to a large commercial press. PDF/X (Portable Document Format Exchange) is a subset of Adobe PDF that eliminates color, font, and trapping variables that lead to printing problems.

You can also specify security options for restricting access to the PDF document. The 128‑bit RC4 (Acrobat 6 and later) encryption has an option for letting users view metadata and thumbnails in a secure PDF document using Adobe Bridge.

You can save your PDF settings as a PDF preset for creating consistent Photoshop PDF files. Adobe PDF presets and settings are shared across Adobe components, including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
Help others by clicking "Correct Answer" if the question is answered.
Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines