• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I use a gradient from the library?

Contributor ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using the Create From Image option in the Libraries pallette, how is that gradient then applied to a layer please? The UI for the Libraries doesn't give me any clues. Thanks for any pointers. Using CC 2019.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for the same exact answer. I see it under the 'Gradients' section in the Libraries tab, but I have no idea how to implement it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question.  There are lots of gradients in my library that came from Adobe , but i cannot add them to the gradient list inside PS ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Margaret

Can you be more specific about where these gradients are located?  If you click on the drop down next to the gradient editor, the gradients there are also in the Gradient panel.  The same applies if you create a new gradient or group.  It automatically appears in the Gradient panel.  If I am missing your point, can you please give us some more detail, and maybe some screen shots?  Thanks.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is confusing. It sure isn’t obvious from the UI (Photoshop 2021), but I managed to figure out different ways to apply a Capture gradient in the Libraries panel. You can apply it as a gradient fill layer, or add it as a gradient preset. If you add it as a gradient preset, you can then apply it as a gradient map layer or as a preset for any other gradient in Photoshop (e.g. in Layer Effects).

One way is to double-click the Capture gradient in the Libraries panel. That applies it to the open document as a new, adjustable gradient fill layer clipped to the layer that was selected. But one non-obvious thing about that is it works only if the currently selected layer is unlocked. If your document is a single locked or Background layer, you must first click the layer’s lock icon to unlock it, then you can double-click the Libraries gradient. It’s very confusing if the document is just a single locked Background layer, because you double-click the Libraries gradient and nothing happens because the Background layer is locked.

The rest of the ways to use it depend on right-clicking the Capture gradient and choosing either Apply Gradient or Create Gradient Preset, depending on what your goal is.

Photoshop-apply-Capture-gradient.gif

Essentially, once you’ve added it to the Gradients panel as a gradient preset, you can use it in whatever way you wanted to use that gradient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad C,

Actually I wanted to make the gradients inside the library a permanent choice inside the gradient panel- I think my questions was a bit confusing though.

So thank u so much for explaining how to do it in a detail I could follow.

Margaret

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reread your comment/ instructions above.  After reading it again i do understand.  Thanks a lot for the answer. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine gets a program error no matter which way I attempt this. Pretty unfortunate. I'm not trying to download older versions of photoshop in hopes that one of them allows me to create the presets in my gradient panel that maybe I can transfer to the new versions. Such a cluster

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please explain what exactly you are doing and post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Gradients, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far?
Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/photoshop-25-0-program-errors-library-gradie...

I just posted this in hopes of getting some visibility to my issue. I don't know how to read program error stacks in text files like that.. but this is what I'm seeing and what I'm getting.

Macbook Pro M1 2021, 32Gb, Ventura 13.5.2, Adobe PS 25.0.0 (also tried 2 older versions of PS, no luck)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarted Mac, restarted Adobe PS, Tried with/without GPU processing, tried resetting window panels, tried double-clicking the gradient, tried right-clicking (create, apply, move (and try again from another folder/library)), I've tried to open in adobe express (although not supported). No other plugins besides user-diagnostics (which I added just for this issue). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you restore the Preferences? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: I am not talking about reseting the Workspace, but the Preferences! 

Have you tried logging out of CC and back in again? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you »Create gradient preset« when you right-click the gradient’s icon in the Libraries Panel? 

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 16.25.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, can't do any of the options. Same error pop-up

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 10.08.24 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having same problem now 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Libraries, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What happens if you select a Layer other than the Background Layer and double-click the gradient’s icon in the Libraries Panel? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines