• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you crop with rounded corners?

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you crop an image so you have rounded corners?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

The crop tool does not provide that function so you have to use  another approach, here is one approach:

Make  sure your image is a regular layer, not a background layer (double click on the layer if it is a background layer and then OK)
Select the pen tool and then  make the following changes in the options  bar at the top of the window
      Select the paths option
      Select the rounded rectangle tool
      Specify the radius of the rounded corners you want
Draw out your crop rectangle
Right clic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use an image file?

No!

Actually, I don't know that it can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crop tool does not provide that function so you have to use  another approach, here is one approach:

Make  sure your image is a regular layer, not a background layer (double click on the layer if it is a background layer and then OK)
Select the pen tool and then  make the following changes in the options  bar at the top of the window
      Select the paths option
      Select the rounded rectangle tool
      Specify the radius of the rounded corners you want
Draw out your crop rectangle
Right click within that rectangle and select  Make Selection
Hit Shift+Ctrl+I to invert your selection
HIt Ctrl+X to cut the selection
Click on Image>Trim>Transparent pixels>OK
You have your cropped , rounded-corner image against a transparent background

Paulo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was EXACTLY what I needed!  Worked perfectly!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Susan, you might want to save the cropped image as a PNG to preserve the transparency..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images are always fully rectangular. rounded corners are just a transparency blending effect and require an image format supporting transparency, clipping masks or Alpha channels as well as whatever app is displaying the images actually interpreting that info...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to recall that using the Marquee Tool in the past resulted in rounded corners. Unwelcome, and there was a workaround for it, but can that be employed in today's version of PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Marquee tool with a degree of feather will produce rounded corners but there is no real control over what you get.

The Rounded Rectangle has lots of settings in the Options bar for fine tuning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William Dorsten, This is my own fast easy way to get ovals and round corners. I take the circle selection tool and run it over the object or photograph I want rounded. I select that shape of the object and save a copy. Then I go to a new file or layer and paste it there. Try it. For a square, you run the oval size over the edges until the corners are rounded as I want them. Best regards,JHrounds 4 U.jpg the degree you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines