• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you put part of a layer behind another?

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In photoshop, I am making a logo. I want the tips of each "S" in this image‌ to go behind each other, But I don't want the entire S behind the other. How can I do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Add a layer mask by clicking on the mask icon in the layers panel. The ctrl/cmd click on the layer icon to make a selection:

Press ctrl/cmd-alt/opt-shift and click on the other layer's icon. This will limit the selection to just those areas were the two shape over lap. Select the layer mask, and with a black paint brush paint out the areas you don't want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You create a layer mask so that you can show what's behind the top layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that but I have no idea what to do next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After  you add a mask to the top layer, paint on the image (actually, the mask) in black with a hard edge brush. It will hide the overlapping part of the top S and reveal the contour of the lower one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Add a layer mask by clicking on the mask icon in the layers panel. The ctrl/cmd click on the layer icon to make a selection:

Press ctrl/cmd-alt/opt-shift and click on the other layer's icon. This will limit the selection to just those areas were the two shape over lap. Select the layer mask, and with a black paint brush paint out the areas you don't want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xxxvhia.jpg

If this is how the file is constructed, just add a mask to the top layer and mask the area of the top "S"  that is circled to reveal the contour of the middle layer "S"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines