• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How is the fauux.neocities.org dithering compression effect made?

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to find out how the dithering compression effect of this site fauux.neocities.org was made (click on "Go visible" inside the site to see what I'm talking about).

The creator posted some info abt the site and the creative process on Reddit.

He said that "From the first day the style was basically set. I liked the idea of the 10MB limitation, so I kept going to see how much I could make with it. [...] It grew natural, there were no grand plan so to say. I just really fell in love with the dithering compression as it fit right into the Lain universe." ...

... so I guess it should have something to do with compressing images on PS to reduce the image size and getting that dithering effect (the creator said somewhere else that he used PS to make it).

I also found this post, with diferent suggestions on how to make a really similar effect.

What do yall think?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Experiment , Web

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Alright, so I asked to the creator of the website and they told me that "Hello, it's easy if you have photoshop. Just click save for web as a gif, got a bunch of settings for dithering there."

Anyways thanks for the answers, imma leave this here if anyone searches for it on the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be an After Effects project, not Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wdym

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He prob made the animation on After Effects or idk, but he said on reddit that the images were made messing with PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GIF I included was just an example, check this out to see more of em https://fauux.neocities.org/escapism 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create frame animation in Photoshop but some of these examples are using features that are better served using After Effects.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-frame-animations.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The more I dig into this - it appears this user has converted video to gif.

Creating frame animation to this level of detail in Photoshop would drive onself a little crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, so do you know how to do the dithering compression effect using AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Isaac Moon that would be a question better served in the AE community forum. I can move your post over there if you'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would still like to know if there's a way to do it on photoshop, but if I don't get any reply, I'll ask you to move it there. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that the animation is probably made using AE but I still would like to know how to replicate the dithering effect on a plain png image for example

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, so I asked to the creator of the website and they told me that "Hello, it's easy if you have photoshop. Just click save for web as a gif, got a bunch of settings for dithering there."

Anyways thanks for the answers, imma leave this here if anyone searches for it on the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Isaac Moon Thats like saying  "You have an oven. Just bake some bread theres a bunch of ingredients to make it" with no instructions on how to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yeah, ig I'll figure out how to do it messing around with it. Once I get a similar result I'll post it here :3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

did you do it? any process to share?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines