• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How is to select "Zoom Out" tool

Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, to select zoom tool on my system, I press "z".

then, my cursor changes to little magnifying glass, with a small + in the middle of it. This "+" represents that I have selected zoom tool and it is going to zoom in when i click on document.

How I can select zoom tool but make it have a "-" in the middle of magnifying glass, therefore indicating I am on the "zoom out" tool?

keyboard Z for "zoom in" tool,

yet what is keyboard shortcut for "zoom out" tool?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Same shortcut, then while the tool is active, hold down the Option (Mac) or Alt (Windows) key to change the + to  - .

You don't even have to press z if you use the Command+spacebar (Mac) or Ctrl-spacebar (Windows) shortcut, then add Option/Alt to reduce.

The simplest way is to use Scrubby Zoom (if your GPU supports it), because then you don't have to press Option/Alt. You just press Command+spacebar (Mac) or Ctrl-spacebar (Windows), then drag left to reduce or drag right to magnify.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same shortcut, then while the tool is active, hold down the Option (Mac) or Alt (Windows) key to change the + to  - .

You don't even have to press z if you use the Command+spacebar (Mac) or Ctrl-spacebar (Windows) shortcut, then add Option/Alt to reduce.

The simplest way is to use Scrubby Zoom (if your GPU supports it), because then you don't have to press Option/Alt. You just press Command+spacebar (Mac) or Ctrl-spacebar (Windows), then drag left to reduce or drag right to magnify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks you Conrad C, and greets.

I am try to achieve this with no dragging - just clicking.

I have tried the hold down CTRL+SPACEBAR choice, and it works - cursor changes to magnifying glass with +

Next, I click on image (not drag) - and yes, image zooms in.

But how I can make it so when I click, image zooms out?

Photoshop is has keyboard shorctut to change it to zoom in tool, but appears there is no way to have it make zoom out tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try ALT + Spacebar to zoom out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks to you Ged, this is works.

Guess it makes no way to simply select keyboard shortcut however (such as eraser tool for example, all you need do to is press E)

For zoom in/out tool, we need to hold down multiple keys (ALT/CTRL+SPACEBAR)  but there is no way to keep it on zoom in/out tool because when we release those multiple keys, tool returns to previous tool.

well at least there is some way to do it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mostly use the scroll wheel on my mouse to zoom in and out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gangeek  wrote

But how I can make it so when I click, image zooms out?

As I said in my original reply, just add the Option or Alt key, and the Zoom tool will zoom out when you click.

Photoshop-zoom-toggle.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes thanks you Conrad, but as you can see, when you select the zoom tool, then zoom "in" is the default. You can press Z for the zoom tool and it stays as the zoom tool. And the default at that step is that when image is clicked on, image will zoom "in".

To zoom out, I must hold down ALT at the same time as clicking.

Why we can not assign other keyboard shortcut to zoom "out" so there needs to be no pressing of ALT key at all?

Say for example, keyboard shortcut Z for zoom in, and X for zoom out?

.. is perhaps there a way to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gangeek  wrote

yes thanks you Conrad, but as you can see, when you select the zoom tool, then zoom "in" is the default...

Why we can not assign other keyboard shortcut to zoom "out" so there needs to be no pressing of ALT key at all?

Say for example, keyboard shortcut Z for zoom in, and X for zoom out?

The reason is that the customizable keyboard shortcuts only let you apply one shortcut for one tool, and there is only one zoom tool. If there were separate "zoom in" and "zoom out" tools, it would be possible to assign separate shortcuts. But there's only one zoom tool, so there's only one shortcut.

Again, this is not a problem for many users because we use the spacebar modifier keys to zoom, because then we can set "zoom in" or "zoom out" instantly depending on which keys we press, no waiting or switching: Command-Option-Spacebar instantly shows the "zoom out" mode of the Zoom tool.

I thought about it a little more and I did figure out that if you want, you can set the zoom tool default to "zoom out." With the Zoom tool selected, click the Zoom Out icon in the options bar at the top of the screen. The next time you select the Zoom tool, it will default to Zoom Out. See below:

Photoshop-zoom-default.gif

But as you can see, it's one or the other: You can set the default to "zoom in" or "zoom out," but only one or the other.

If you want instant access to both, the best way is still Command-Spacebar and Command-Option-Spacebar (or the Windows equivalent of the shortcut).

Or setting Photoshop to zoom with a scroll wheel/gesture. You still have many options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have the zoom tool (z) selected, it would be enough to press alt, so that the magnifying glass with the symbol - appears. If you have any other tool selected, to increase it would be with the commands ctrl + Spacebar, and to reduce, ctrl + space bar + alt.

I hope you have been helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes thank you, I have been very helpful - thanks you to Conrad et Hugovic and Ged, these are nice tricks to get zoom tool to zoom out,

if you have noticed, Mixer brush tool is similar- when you select it, there appears similar little icons at top of screen, "auto-load" and "auto-clean" icons. One allows for painting with mixer brush, the other allows for blending with mixer brush.

the good thing here is that there is available keyboard shortcut to toggle between those both icons.

This would be same with zoom tool - why there is not keyboard shortcut to toggle between zoom in and zoom out?

I was hoping for way to not hold down any ALT or CTRL or anything, just simple keyboard shortcuts to select zoom in and other keyboard shortcut to select zoom out.

or make it like mixer brush: one keyboard shortcut to select tool, then other keyboard shortctus to toggle between in/out.

I really must find way to do this without holding down multiple keys at once. Must find a way to first select zoom tool, then toggle between in/out icons at top of screen.

There is option in keyboard shortcuts to "zoom in" and "zoom out" and this is VERY close to what I need, however the problem with not being able to "zoom click to center" - this problem is that image does not zoom in towards cursor- instead it is only manual zoom in and out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines