• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to alter the tone of one part of an image based on another part without changing structure?

Participant ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a image of a person. The subject had their eyes closed and I have fixed that by copying the eyes from another photo where they had their eyes open.

The problem is that because of different lighting conditions in the two photos the skin around the (now open) eyes - mainly the eyelids - does not match the rest of the face tones. But everything else is ok. So the question is how can I alter the tone of the eyelids to match the tone of the rest of the face? I did think about the clone tool but the thing is the structure of the eyelids is fine and I don't want to change that. Can I 'paint on the tones from one part of the image' while keeping the actual pixels - i.e change the tone/rgb values of the eyelid pixels to match the source (e.g. cheek) without changing anything else?

Thank you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Hi @justinw86398615 have you tried using Filters>Neural Filters>Color Transfer (beta)?

Otherwise you could go old school and create an adjustment layer over the eyes layer like curves or levels and then use masking to paint in the color adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Hi Kevin

Thanks. Can you say a bit more about what you mean by "paint in the colour adjustment"? This is the bit I am struggling with. Should I use a brush and just paint with it? Or is there some way to say 'make this area less pink and more yellow but don't change the relative contrast between pixels'? Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @justinw86398615 have you tried using Filters>Neural Filters>Color Transfer (beta)?

Otherwise you could go old school and create an adjustment layer over the eyes layer like curves or levels and then use masking to paint in the color adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

Thanks. Can you say a bit more about what you mean by "paint in the colour adjustment"? This is the bit I am struggling with. Should I use a brush and just paint with it? Or is there some way to say 'make this area less pink and more yellow but don't change the relative contrast between pixels'? Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to use an extreme example to make it easier to explain.

I have a layer "Kevin Copy" on top of that layer I make an adjustment layer - in this example I used Curves.

I then adjust the color accordingly to match the tone of the original skin layer.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1678998699531.png

Then I invert the layer mask from white to black and using a White paint brush, I can paint back in the adjusted colors only in the areas I want - preserving contrast detail etc.

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1678998843449.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the detailed explanation. As you can see I am s novice. This really helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines