Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to avoid Brush selection from changing selected tool

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Recently, I noticed in Photoshop that when changing the cursor-brush I am currently using, the tool is almost always changed for another tool, directly interrupting or confusing my work. This behaviour is so alien to me and so disturbing that I stopped using cursor-brushes alltogether, a functionnality that I was happily using before. This is such an annoyance for me, as I feel this is forcing a behaviour to me and prevent me from working  intelligently, naturally and creatively. For example, I was often using a cursor-brush with random spots (instead of the circle one) combined with the stamp tool, a combination that no longer seems to be possible at all.

Is there a way to revert back to the previous brushes selection system? Or to clearly tell Photoshop to NEVER change the current tool? And did somebody requested this "legacy" option from Adobe? It really seems that every change Adobe is doing these days are so disrupting that they always required them to add a "legacy" option, but whatever, I don't care, I just need to be able to use my tools in an effective and intelligent way, and they are clearly not delivering.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate, maybe share screenshots. What do you mean by cursor-brush? What happens when you select the brush tool, is it changing to a different tool? Screenshots with your selected brush and a screenshot of what is changing would help.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist><br />Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously? This is a very common complaint about a huge change Adobe made to basic brush selection and you don't understand the question? How are you a 'Community Expert'..?

By @billzilla

Are you aware that the post you critize is from 2021? 

Please read this and act accordingly:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/adobe-support-community-guidelines/td...

As for the »huge change«: It seems to be irrelevant.

• If you don’t want a custom Brush Preset to »Include Tool Settings« then create the »New Brush« without those. 

• If you use Brush Presets someone else created please take up the issue with them. 

• One can always override the Tool with the shortcut (cmd-alt if I am not mistaken) when selecting the Brush Preset in the Brushes Panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just because you think anyone might be impressed by how long you have been using Photoshop the Forum guidelines still apply to you, too.

So please refrain from your insult-attempts. 

You are aware of how to avoid or circumvent the »problem« you are complaining about anyway. 

If you think the Brushes Panel needs improvements please look for an existing Feature Request and if none exists that sufficiently reflects the changes you want to see implemented create a new one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@r-bin , @jazz-y  , @Stephen_A_Marsh , please forgive the intrusion. 

Despite the behaviour of the poster who »bumped« this thread I got to thinking and I seem to vaguely recall that there was a discussion about processing abr-files to remove the Brush Settings from Brush Presets that were created to »Include Tool Presets« en bloque. 

But I could not find a thread on this. 

Were any of you involved in a thread about that and, if so, do you remember if anything came of it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines