• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to avoid jagged edges and thin lines when transferring my vector art to Photoshop and exporting?

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the process of creating a logo. I made the majority of the logo in Illustrator, including the typeface and iconography. Part of the logo design includes wings with really thin triangles as an accent within the wing shapes. I brought it over to Photoshop only to bevel and emboss it, and I am now seeing jagged lines in all different elements. Even the emboss is looking wonky. I am aware I am no longer using vector art, but how can I export my logo with clean lines? I also preferably need a clean PSD file or tiff to give to my coworker. I am not looking for a png or jpg file. He is looking to use the file in 8k if at all possible. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So first of all, instead of using Layer styles in Photoshop, you can just use Graphic Styles in Illustrator, under the "Effect" menu, and bevel is under 3D. I'm pretty sure the layer styles are bitmap based, and when you export a vector OR a bitmap as a GIF, a JPEG, or a PNG - it is then a Bitmap or Raster file. Which means it is made up of pixels, is large in file size and is NOT scaleable!

A LOGO, should ALWAYS be scaleable - so you can put it on a t-shirt, a business card, key chain, ir Billboard and Plane!

So number one it shoud be a vector file, an .ai file... 2nd... if you are creating a logo... details must be kept to a minimum. When you scale that logo down, you are'nt going to notice the bevel or the highlight in the wings... and even the gradient will make it hard to read. So stay along wtih one of the famous design principles - K.I.S.S (Keep it simple stupid)

Hope this helps.

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For there not to be jagged lines you need a lot of pixels the document needs to be high resolution. When it come down to it,  If  you have a 3"  vector diagonal line there is a world of difference in the quality of the line between a 72PPI rendering and a 600ppi rendering of that vector diagonal line.

Printer print pixels plotter draw vector lines.   Printers are Pixels devices Plotters are vector devices.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines