• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change color of a shirt to light color without losing details?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to change the color of the shirt in either of these photos:

Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 5.40.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 5.42.18 PM.png

to this color, while maintaining the heathered texture and shadows:

Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 5.45.10 PM.png #f1ece4

I tried changing the second photo (mauve) to these colors by changing the HSB values to match and it comes out flat with the details so lightened it looks very painted on. Like this:

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 6.07.25 PM.png

Is there a way to go from either the navy or mauve color to very light colors? Is there a better base shirt color to work from to get to such a light color without losing details? I may be able to get a different starting shirt color to work from. 

Thanks 🙂

TOPICS
iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 08.00.13.pngScreenshot 2024-07-09 at 08.00.17.pngScreenshot 2024-07-09 at 08.00.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: I tried changing the first image from heather navy (not from mauve) to the light color, which is called "cement".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For changing color of items, I like to use L*A*B* color. Your sample color was 94L 0A 0B, so basically your color is gray and the tone is just altered. In my sample, i set a color sampler to adjust the shirt. I could have used desaturation, but I used curves for everything - better if your target color isn't gray. So after I got the gray, I used the lightness channel to adjust the tone to 94L. First I moved the highlight end of the curve, till I got the 94. But the dark tones were a bit too dark, so I brought up the shadow end of the curve, till the shadows looked decent, then I readjusted the hightlight end of the curve to bring back the shirt to 94L. When doing this, you want to set your color sampler to what would be considered a middle value of the item: you don't want a highlight or shadow area.

shirt sample.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes using one Channel (in this case Red) via Channel Mixer as the basis of the Adjustments can be useful. 

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 13.02.33.pngScreenshot 2024-07-03 at 13.02.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what did you do on the channel mixer? set to monochrome? would you mind showing photos of the settings you have within each layer? I keep getting a really gray undertone I cant seem to get rid of

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 08.00.13.pngScreenshot 2024-07-09 at 08.00.17.pngScreenshot 2024-07-09 at 08.00.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! this helped I was able to get the color I wanted w your method. Im having trouble creating a bright light yellow color "french vanilla" with the same method. what am I doing wrong?

start image:
Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 10.50.19 AM.png

i want the shirt to have this color:
french vanilla: feecc0
Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 10.50.27 AM.png

my current result is too gray and looks like a dingy yellow. how do i get it to be brighter but maintain details?
Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 10.50.39 AM.png

here are my ps layers:
Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 10.51.23 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-07-09 at 10.51.29 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-07-09 at 10.51.51 AM.png

thank you so much for your help ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try using the Curves Layer to brighten more. 

And instead of a Solid Color Layer you could try usin a Gradient Map Layer (set to »Color« again) to emulate the more reddish depths against the more yellow brights. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a better base shirt color to work from to get to such a light color without losing details? I may be able to get a different starting shirt color to work from.

By @ModRebel376708778qch

Generally, a midtone or lighter gray would be an easier starting point to work with than any dark color. A middle gray can contain details without losing them in the highlights and shadows, and of course is neutral so that it won’t shift any color you apply on top of it.

There are a few videos on YouTube about changing colors of clothing. This video is pretty good:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did watch, however the methods did not work for this cement color I am trying to reach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you willing to show your process to go from a medium gray to a bright color? I always seem to get this dingy gray undertone to all the colors I do. I think I am misunderstanding the steps to get to the right color. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are numerous ways to do this. I usually start by desaturating to a neutral color and then recoloring. Replace Color on a new layer and blended can work. Be sure to recolor any reflected tint in the scene as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response 🙂 Would you be willing to show the steps to do this in more detail? Im not quite understanding but it sounds like a good method. Im a little newer to PS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines