• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change language in Photoshop CS5 from Polish (or any else) to English? (Windows) [locked]

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a Polish language version of Photoshop CS 5 and I'd like to change it to english.

I've tried by

Edit>Preferences>Interface: Interface language

but there is only Polish language to choose.

Is there english version to download anywhere?

I'll be glad for any help

[This question is from January 3, 2012 about CS5. The correct answer for CS5 is no, you have to buy a new version. This thread is now locked, and the answer has changed in newer versions.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

You are stuck with Polish!

One installer = one language.

The only way to get English is to buy an English version (or exchange via Adobe).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel Carboni,
I actually have a true paid version of Adobe Creative suite cs5.5.
After downloading it (as I had to originally get ADOBE to deactivate it on my deceased computer) BUT as I input my serial number (which was legit and accepted) it changed to Portugese even though it is an ENGLISH version that I have only ever used.  Once again I contacted ADOBE chat and they told me to uninstall it (although I never managed to activate as I don't read portugese) and re download it AGAIN!  

If you have a paid English version, apparently IT CAN CHANGE to another language.  😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software is potentially multi-language. It comes with multiple language packs and you get to choose which when you want installed during the install process. Your serial number is only valid for a single language but it has no control over what language gets installed. OS settings can also direct the language of the installation, especially if you are on Mac because it is also multi-lingual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I experienced. I got a new computer at work, and Windows came pre-installed in Spanish. Since it was a Single Language version, I had to wait for Windows to download and apply the Pro features to change the language to English. In the meantime I installed Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to get right back to work, but it was installed in Spanish and, honestly, it was confusing for me as translations vary way too much. You don't have to asume everyone asking this does not have a legit subscription.

I've now changed Windows language to English and I am in the process of re-downloading Adobe products. I truly hope it gets installed in English as I can't work myself through the menus in Spanish (Thanks God I use keyboard shortcuts for the most part). There should seriously be a more friendly way to download and install Language Packs, or set the default language to English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud defaults to the same language as the OS, it seems a bit arbitrary to force everyone in the world to use English without first changing it to their native language. Remember, the Creative Cloud is sold worldwide and all customers are getting the same software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly the issue. Assuming the CC is sold worldwide, there should be an option to select language prior download and installation. The problem is not forcing everyone to install it in English (or any other language), but to prompt them whether they want to install it in the OS's display language or not. Since the suite is not being burned into DVDs and put on shelves, it should be rather easy to do, and would save us users time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It may well be a desirable feature for Adobe to support your changing the language.  But they simply don't. "

=> yep, but forums are here for that purpose too aren't they ? We are legitim users (well some of us at least) who are suggesting adobe to make it easier to change language on an adobe forum. Maybe it would be great to open another post for that, maybe adobe won't listen, even read the suggestion. Maybe.

I'm not saying that piracy is good, neither am I encouraging people to illegal download softwares, just saying that they can be total legitim reasons why someone would want to change language, that's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

saikosama wrote:

...but forums are here for that purpose too aren't they ? We are legitim users (well some of us at least) who are suggesting adobe to make it easier to change language on an adobe forum. Maybe it would be great to open another post for that, maybe adobe won't listen, even read the suggestion. Maybe...

While an Adobe employee might pop into the forums, this is mostly an audience of users. To suggest features to Adobe, use the 'contact' link at the bottom of the web page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This topic is very usefull. I am using a ligit Adobe Cs5.5 at work and because of stupid law in Canada I am stuck with the French version, but I have never used the french version and I would work much better with the english version since that is what I have always been using. I know you can change the language in Bridge (thanks for that), but for the rest like Indesign Photoshop etc... I am stuck with the French. I would really like to use the english version.  They buy corporate versions so it's one language only and(of course) I have nothing to say and I can't request an english version since some people here don't even speak english.

It would be great if Adobe would offer a few languages pack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply navigate to this directory: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\Locales\sv_SE\Support Files

the sv_SE folder is named such because my version is Swedish. Just find the similar named folder that looks like it should correspond with your language.

In the support files directory there will be a file named tw10428.dat

Make sure that photoshop is closed, change the file extension to .bak  instead of .dat, and then restart photoshop.

Your software will now be in English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Sterlin4 wins the 'post of the day'.  Thanks!  It worked a treat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sterlin4... your my hero!! Thank you so EVER much for helping me! Now my Photoshop CC 2014 runs in english, not norwegian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked amazingly thanks Sterlin4

22. Re: How to change language in Phostoshop CS 5 from Polish (or any else) to english?

sterlin4Community Member

Simply navigate to this directory: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\Locales\sv_SE\Support Files

the sv_SE folder is named such because my version is Swedish. Just find the similar named folder that looks like it should correspond with your language.

In the support files directory there will be a file named tw10428.dat

Make sure that photoshop is closed, change the file extension to .bak  instead of .dat, and then restart photoshop.

Your software will now be in English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Perfect answer and exactly what I needed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i found a sv_SE folder (my language is also swedish) but i could not find the "tw10428.dat" file. in fact i could not find a "tw" file at all (i used the automatic search function). could it be because i seem to have a version just called CS5 instead of CS5.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Surfing Alien pointed it out, there are legitimate uses for several languages. Bridge, Lightroom allow the user to change the language they are used in.

There is an help entry about changing a localized After Effects to English.

I therefore made a post in the feedback site suggesting a way to do it in Photoshop without having to pay for another license, feel free to vote for it!

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_allow_change_users_to_change_the_ui_...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2012 Jan 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also a legitimite user and find it offensive that so many assume that everybody who wants to change the language pack is a pirate. I paid for Photoshop CS5 extended as an individual, which is quite an expense. So I was careful and thorough in the purchasing process. I was only allowed to shop in the store for the Netherlands and nowhere in the entire process was I asked or given the option to select my preferred language. Not during the purchase, not during the download and not during install. I do not eliminate the possibility that I still overlooked it, but I consider that unlikely.

Like some others here, I cannot work with Photoshop in my native language (dutch). I think in english when it comes to Photoshop. Luckily though, the tip by @liit64 works. I really wouldn't know what to do otherwise, without the english language the product is worthless to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the tip @liit64?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wayne

Please could you email me the posts on how to change the language in Adobe Bridge?

Much appreciated!

richmondpictures@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2012 Feb 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is brilliant! I have the Euro version which has several languages built in but not English. I've been using Spanish, which like in Windows is awkward, to able to change to English and even back again when required is great.

Muchas gracias.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi!

I myself got an european version of CS5, with English not available on languages.

Here's what you have to do for Photoshop (you must do it separately for each of the CS programs):

- go to the folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\Locales\fr-FR\Support Files\

- find the tw10428.dat file

- change the file name (eg. tw104281.dat)

- after that start your Photoshop and it will be in English, as this is its default language.

It is sure to work.

Best regards,

iurianu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great one!! Sneaking around if you want to change the lang. on the After Effects go to (MAC OS X):
1. AE icon in apps
2. Ctrl + Click

3. Show Contents

4. Contents

5. Resources

6. AMTLanguages

7. Change the .txt file name to: en_US

8. Open it and also change the inside text to en_US

9. Save

10. Open AE & Enjoy!

Have a Nice Day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@herber007-

I'm trying to change my language (Adobe CS5) from spanish to english. I was following your steps 1-5 but after all i found was an AMT folder. After that I got lost, I don't understand step 7. I see a folder that says en_US. Can you please help? I have a MAC

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I teste it & worked out only in AE. Inside the AMT Folder there should be a file .txt rename it en_US. Then open it & inside change the text to en_US also.

Hope you can make it work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey i can see the steps wayne has said on how to change to chang the language to english... i only can see step 1, 2 and step 27... how do i view the rest??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you can please email me the steps.. my email add is [removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines