Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to Change the artboard background color in Photoshop CC 2015

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Just tried changing these settings:

Preferences -> Performance -> Graphics Processor Settings -> Advanced Settings... The change drawing mode to 'Normal' (mine was 'Basic'). Suddenly I'm able to change the background.

Hopes this works for all of you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erwin1972   Thanks to you i fixed my problem. THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone should probably tell this to Adobe Tech Support. I was on chat with them for an hour adn a half yesterday and they couldn't fix it. 30 seconds on this forum and it's done.

Thanks guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a major downfall of the feature I almost abandoned using it until this. They need to point that out in the 3 minute intro video as I was about to pull my hair out trying to figure this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue and trying to change the drawing mode, however its greyed out (See screenshot). Does anyone know how I can get round this?

screenshot.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - could it be that we are using low spec PC's so the graphics card wont let us change from Basic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very very think you!  find it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your PC isn't meet for requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, greats. I changed the drawing mode to "normal". Now I am able to change the color of artboard background. Thanks Erwin1972.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does't work for me. My Drawing Mode was set to Advanced, changed it to Normal...artboard still remain white. Unfortunate that the only other workaround is switching to RGB mode because I work primarily in CMYK.

It's a little baffling that the Artboard feature was clearly made with web/devices in mind when it actually has plenty of uses in print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much fixed my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yesss finally i was losing my mind jejejej THANKS...6 STARS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed it, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Last time I was on chat/Phone with Adobe for 2 hours. It happened back and I was able to fix it in 10sec!

@Adobe you should pin this post it will save you time and money with your customer support...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, my iMac hasn't been fixed by any of the solutions above - including changing the Advanced performance settings and color space. The issue is only present if I have artboards turned on - removing artboards from a document by merging all layers fixes the issue immediately. No being able to see the edges of the artboards makes the feature pretty much useless for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no performance options for GPU processor (just onboard gfx).

But I fixed it in the BIOS to set the shared graphics memory ("dvmt pre-allocated") to 512MB. It was default on 64.

Now I can change the color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"BIOS"? Could you elaborate more on that part? I've tried everything else in this thread and nothing is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of works. Ish. Now I'm getting transparent grid around some parts etc. Kinda buggy, could do with fixing this. I'm familiar with artboard in Illustrator but this behaves differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to change mine to "advanced" to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of the latest version it now can be done same as a normal document in Photoshop (right-click).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Agreed, Adobe, get it together on this one. Been trolling forums, official texts, etc. for a long time trying to figure this one out. Maybe that speaks more to my skills than the problem, but still... months in the making and I'm a much happier camper now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know if there are any plans for implementing it in CMYK  mode?  It's a very useful feature to keep track of different stages of my drawings prior to printing but not practical if I can't see the borders of my Artboards. Working in RGB isn't a great option for me since I match my colors to CMYK Pantone chips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too and my attempt to modify preferences didn't seem to work because the graphics options were dimmed out. (I loaded Windows 10 on an older Dell Latitude w/ an i5 and no special graphic cards or drivers.)

To resolve this issue, I selected "sRBG IEC61966-2.1" from the Color Profile field in the Advanced section of the New... dialog box. (In other words, I selected File > New and made sure the Color Profile dropdown had an actual selection.) If you don't have this option in your dropdown, try a similar one. Before, when "Don't Color Manage this Document" was selected, I had an all white canvas and artboard. The problem seemed to fix itself once I chose an RGB-based profile.

del_adobe-photoshop-new-doc.gif

The only other peculiar thing is that I cannot reproduce the error. Now that I switch back to "Don't Color Manage this Document," I no longer have the all-white issue. Anyway, it's gone and I hope it never comes back!

Hope this helps someone!

P.S. The "Instagram" Document Type illustrated in the image above is a preset I created; it's not an actual preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me. Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for me! 😞

I am running CC 2017, on a brand new mac, and El capitan...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines