• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Change the Default Save As to Tiff

Engaged ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the latest update, every time I do a Save As... it now defaults to a dialogue box that wants to save to the cloud and as a PSD file. I prefer to always save to my computer as a Tiff file. Is there a way to make that the default? I looked through the preferences, but didn't see any option for that.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

I hated that dialog! Go to "File Handling" preferences and change "Default File Location" to "On Your Computer."

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have Do not show again in dialogue that offers cloud and your computer save. Once you save TIFF it should remain default for next savings until you change it again. 

It works for me on Windows using 23.1.1 Ps version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? I don't remember seeing that. I'll look again when I'm in front of my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but there's no Preference that changes the default Save As format.

Save As only remembers the previous save format and cannot be changed to .tif as the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly, if I have more than 1 layer, if remembers that I normally save it as a PSD and if its 1 layer, Jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save As only remembers the previous save format and cannot be changed to .tif as the default.

By @Earth Oliver

Mine doesn't even do that. Every time I do a Save As... it pops up with the same dialogue box asking defaulting to save in the cloud and defaulting to PSD format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hated that dialog! Go to "File Handling" preferences and change "Default File Location" to "On Your Computer."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @giP

Oh my gosh, that did it! I don't know how I never saw that before (was it possibly added in a recent update?). Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried doing a Save As... and there's no option that says Do Not Show Again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that before and doesn't work for me.   I've 'save as' a number of times as tiff and still defaults to psd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I read that before and doesn't work for me.   I've 'save as' a number of times as tiff and still defaults to psd.

By @judy04

An action or script can be used to default a file type and related options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no way to change this behavior in Photoshop and it's a feature we've been requesting for decades. I don't know why Adobe refuses to change the mess that is Save As, but after decades of asking, most of us have just given up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot about it the past few years since I work so much on my iPad Pro.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at my workstation right now, but I think the last format used will stick.

However, in practice this will only apply to PSD or TIFF, since they are the only formats that support all file properties. All other formats have limitations that exclude them as default formats, and then it reverts to PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why Adobe refuses to change the mess that is Save As, but after decades of asking, most of us have just given up.

By @Earth Oliver

Just for balance, I don't think it's a mess. I think it was a mess, and now the mess is cleaned up.

What it now does is separate between formats that do preserve all data on one hand, and formats that don't and have to discard data on the other. That's presenting the options right up front, and should avoid all the confusion that arises when "Photoshop destroyed my file".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse I think that @Earth Oliver refers to a way to select which file formats show up in the save menu. I never want to save as PS raw, for instance, or some would want to restrict to a few formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. I was just replying to "it's a mess", and I think that if anything, it's a lot less so now. These are your options for a 16 bit layered file:

save.png

But I was wrong about one thing: If you save as TIFF, it doesn't stick. It still wants to save the next file as PSD. That feels wrong; it should remember (and I thought it did). 

As for the rest of the dialog, we've always been told by the engineers that Save and Open are operating system dialogs, not Photoshop dialogs. So maybe there isn't much to do about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe slightly off topic, but if you're offered the wrong format, make sure that the Save as type field is highlighted (press Tab once), then press T twice, and you'll get Tiff. I think this works only on Windows.

Works with other formats too, press J for jpg, and P for PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse No, if Adobe wanted to i'm 100% certain that they could make the format dropdown customizable and allow for a default file format. We should be able to choose which formats we see in the menu and the order that they appear. I imagine the task would be trivial for a dev.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point taken. I can't really disagree with that, not when you put it like that 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it seems that competing products already provide that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go Edit>Preferences>General, click on Reset All Warning Dialogs, then on your next save as you should get a dialog where you can select cloud or computer as the destination for your saves and then click Don't show again.

Screenshot-(772).png

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I spoke too soon. After closing Photoshop and later re-opening it to work on a new photo, I got this dialogue box when doing Save As...
save.jpg
When I choose On your computer it once again defaults to a PSD file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That must be happening because the file you have open was already saved to the "cloud"

See if creating a new document and doing a save as makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines