• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to combine two images into one in order to transfer only the values ​​of brightness and dark and

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two images: one low resolution with the desired shadows and highlights, the other (original) higher resolution with more detail, but without the desired shadows and highlights. How to combine them in order to transfer the dark and light areas of the first image to the second image, so that the detail of the second image remains?

combine_monitor002.pngcombine_monitor002-2048.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Hi,

I would use an adaptation of Frequency Separation which is often used in retouching to separate high frequency detail from low frequency brightness and shadows.

1. Start out with the high detailed version (your 2048 x 2048 pixel image) and make two copies of the image layer. Name the first (lower copy) 'Low Frequency' and the second (upper copy) 'High Frequency'

2. Select the Low layer and use filter Gaussian Blur with a radius of 6px

3. Select the  High layer and use menu Image > Apply im

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Гордон285233041q8p you could try using Image>Adjustments>Match Color and use the lo-res as the source. That would match the tonal ranges in the lo-res on the higher res image.

Otherwise you could use a Curves or Levels adjustment layer on the hi-res to try and match or improve the quality on the larger image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I already tried that, but the result is not exactly what I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would use an adaptation of Frequency Separation which is often used in retouching to separate high frequency detail from low frequency brightness and shadows.

1. Start out with the high detailed version (your 2048 x 2048 pixel image) and make two copies of the image layer. Name the first (lower copy) 'Low Frequency' and the second (upper copy) 'High Frequency'

2. Select the Low layer and use filter Gaussian Blur with a radius of 6px

3. Select the  High layer and use menu Image > Apply image

4 Set source layer to 'Low Frequency'
  Channel RGB

Blending Subtract
  Scale 2

Offset 128

Press OK

5. Set the blending mode of that High Frequency Layer to Linear Light

Those steps so far are standard for 8 bit Frequency separation and if you have done them correctly the image should look as it did when you started.

Now the extra steps for your issue

6. Open the second image (your 512 x 512 pixel image) and use Image size 400% to make it 2048 x 2048 px

7. Use Gaussian Blur with Radius 6px

8. Drag the blurred layer onto the other image (hold down shift so that it aligns)

9. Move the layer in the layers panel so that is directly under the High Frequency layer

Now you have the high frequency detail from your first image with the lightness and shadows and low frequency information from your second image

2023-02-21_21-19-07.jpg

Note : If you try this with 16 bit/channel images then use the following settings in Apply Image

Blending Add

Scale 2

Offset 0

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm - I was going to suggest the same, but I wanted to test first as I'm currently on a phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh  Yes it works 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greetings. This advice seems to suit me better! At first I tried to do exactly according to your instructions, and got quite a good result. Then I decided to try to improve the quality by changing some steps, namely: I increased the resolution of a small image using Topaz AI Gigapixel, after which I made it a Gaussian blur of 1.3 pixels; for Low-frequency I made a Gaussian blur of 3 pixels. And I think I got a great result. Thanks to you and everyone who responded to my question! 

combine_monitor002-2048-result2.png combine_monitor002-2048-result3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines