Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert image to oil paint

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone 

Please help me how can i convert image to oil paint. i am trying use oil paint in filter but the result is not good. I have problem with Artistic of Filter Gallery, what the artistic i need to choose to make the result same the under picture. 
Thanksask.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cong34507497m54a Check out this great tutorial by Russell Preston Brown:

https://vimeo.com/841048552

It covers how to use Generative Fill to create an oil painting (among other) effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks your share. I don't have photohop beta, but i will try it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cong34507497m54a this works on standard Photoshop as well - the tutorial was back when beta was needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Image >settings and reduce the numbers of colors with Posterize. Around 16 would be good…

it will make the oil filter behave much better; Also do not mark Light at the bottom…

Capture d’écran 2024-01-04 à 15.13.35.png

But you will have to set the sky apart to avoid stripes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, i think that picture don't make by photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cong34507497m54a 

You didn't ask, but make your layer a Smart Object first so you can edit the filter. If you don't, it will be destructive editing that can't be changed later.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes Jane but Posterize do not seems to operate with smart object. Maybe have to open it and posterize the .psb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes Jane but Posterize do not seems to operate with smart object. Maybe have to open it and posterize the .psb

By @didiermazier

I get no problems when applying Image > Adjustments > Posterize to a Smart Object. 

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 15.41.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i always convert layer to smart object befor i do it. I think that picture don't make by photoshop filter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a new Oil Paint effect in Parametric Filters, and it is quite different from the older Oil Paint filter.

image.png

Your example looks more like Cutout or Posturize, as other posters have said.  There's no reason why you couldn't combine filters either by masking or blend mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you i will try it with other software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines