• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to copy and paste with transparent background?

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened an image as follows. You can see it has a transparent background:

Then I click Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy the image. Click menu File->New.... In the dialog I select Clipboard and click "Create":

In the new document window, I click Ctrl-V and I got this.

As you can see, the image itself was pasted as expected, but the background are all white. I hope that the background can be copied as well, that is, the checkerboard in the source image which represents transparency. So, what is the correct operation to copy and paste in Photoshop with transparent background preserved? Or, if it is not possible, how can I convert the white background to transparency (i.e., checkerboard)? Thank you.

PS: I am using Photoshop CC 2019 on Windows 10.

PS2: I have spent a couple of days trying to learn to use Photoshop by paying and watching an online tutorial, but after so many days, the tutorial still refrains from telling me how to do it (even Ctrl-A was guessed out from other Windows software convention), so I'm out of patience and ask here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

For a transparent document, go to File > New and select Background Contents: Transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you're trying to do.   Your image is already on a transparent background.  Why are you pasting it onto a new document with a solid background?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I made an image with a transparent background, and am trying to copy>paste it into power point (or any other document).  The background always changes to white when I paste it.  How to preserve the transparency?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The background always changes to white when I paste it."

Then don't copy & paste it.  Use the insert command and go directly to the named file on your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and believe I didn't have it in the past. Copy-Paste is a very common action for me, I don't desire to save every file and then import it again if my layers are already transparent to begin with. Somewhere, Photoshop decided to add a white background within the copy-paste process. I think there must be a fix within the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a transparent document, go to File > New and select Background Contents: Transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Windows problem, please tell then it's annoying you too in the insider program.

https://aka.ms/AAf1dst

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not. Paint.net (program, not a website as the name suggests) has no problem doing this. It's a photoshop issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 10 PS v23.3.1

I can't easily replicate the problem, if at all.

What should also work is holding alt and drag that layer to the "new layer" icon.

You'll get this (pick New) and dimensions/transparency will stay.

Signfeld_0-1656139377500.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy to replicate.
Open a webpage with selection of transparent images. I'm using .png in my example.
Copy the .png (don't download)
Paste into a new photoshop document. 
The transparent channel is ignored. 
This is relatively new; running the same operation in older versions of Photoshop (Photoshop6), the paste is correct; the transparent channel is recognized.  I noticed this nonsensical behavior 3-4 versions back.  Why transparent channels, whether .gif, .tif, or .png are no longer recognized in a paste, is a pain. We store our graphics on webpages for international access, vs localized, and I'm certain we're not the only ones working this way.  There is no reason to download and store a disposable graphic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple answer is your browser's copy command is losing data. 

The same thing occurs with copied animated GIFS.  When pasted, they become static.

If you want to preserve image data, save file to your desktop or a dedicated folder first. Then Place or Insert image the customary way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple answer is your browser's copy command is losing data. 

By @Nancy OShea

This is not correct.

Copying a transparent PNG from my browser into Program X, preserves transparency when i paste.

Copying that same transparent PNG from my browser into Photoshop, loses all transparency.

It is not an issue with the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying a transparent PNG from my browser into Program X, preserves transparency...

By @thorn-neverwake

==========

What is Program X??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quoteWhat is Program X??
By @Nancy OShea

- Word

- Blender

- Gimp

- Thunderbird

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i believe its a windows problem, i used both operating system, mac on office, windows at home...
on mac, copy and paste works fine. On windows, the transparency is not copied.

Been coping with this issue for a decade 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines