Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I'm little confusing of how to create a stroke from path. Here are my steps :

1. I'm creatin an amazing path using pen tools like below :

Stroke 1.jpg

2. Next, i want to make this line bigger and colorize this line. To do that, i should create stroke by right clicking this path -> choose stroke path.

Until here, am i in right steps??

Stroke 2.jpg

3. Then, from the dialog, i choose brush.

Stroke 3.jpg

4. Great, i have create an bigger line.

NOW, I HAVE A DIFFICULTIES :

a. How to change the brush style?

b. When i change my path, my stroke of brush doesn't follow it. How to make it follow the path?

Stroke 4.jpg

Thanks so much for help.

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Select the Pen tool and change it from Path to Shape in the Options bar.

Set Fill to off (the diagonal red bar on white background) and the stroke to the colour of choice and how thick you want the stroke (3 pixels in the screen shot below.

image.png

As you create each point with the Pen Tool the stroke will follow along with you.

Note: Click once for a hard corner, and click and drag to create curves.

image.png

You can edit and fine tune the line/shape using the Direct Selection tool (white arrow).

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

@Trevor.Dennis already explained to create a Shape Layer; if you already have an existing, plain Path you an create a Shape Layer by selecting the Path in the Paths Panel, use Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color, then select the Direct Selection Tool (A) and change the Layer’s settings in the Options Bar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eko

You have set up the brush preset before using Stroke Path.  You have Simulate Pressure checked.  That simulates using a pressure sensitive tablet so if you have Pressure Adjusts Size preset selected, you'll get this sort of effect.  

image.png

Note the green highlight.  That icon allows you to stroke a path using the last used settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Trevor.Dennis , i have practiced your advice. but when i change the path using direct selection tool, the brush doesn't follow it. Is it normal?? should i delete earlier brush and regenerate again with the new one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a Shape Layer with a vector stroke. 

If you need a soft line convert to a Smart Object and apply a Gaussian Blur for example. 

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 16.00.05.pngScreenshot 2023-05-09 at 16.00.18.pngScreenshot 2023-05-09 at 16.00.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @c.pfaffenbichler , sound insteresting for beginner like me. Sorry, what do you mean of "Use a Shape Layer with a vector stroke" ? would you please tell me what i should begin with? Create layer then draw a shape then what? thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the Pen tool and change it from Path to Shape in the Options bar.

Set Fill to off (the diagonal red bar on white background) and the stroke to the colour of choice and how thick you want the stroke (3 pixels in the screen shot below.

image.png

As you create each point with the Pen Tool the stroke will follow along with you.

Note: Click once for a hard corner, and click and drag to create curves.

image.png

You can edit and fine tune the line/shape using the Direct Selection tool (white arrow).

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change a curved point to a hard corner point by Ctrl Alt (Cmd Opt) clciking a point.  You can do it in the other direction, but you need to drag the point as you Ctrl Alt click on it.

By far the best series of video tutorials (IMO) are from forum contributor Michael Hoffman.  I think there are five videos sin total.  It is absolutely worth the effort to learn the Pen tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Trevor.Dennis and @c.pfaffenbichler , simple solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis already explained to create a Shape Layer; if you already have an existing, plain Path you an create a Shape Layer by selecting the Path in the Paths Panel, use Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color, then select the Direct Selection Tool (A) and change the Layer’s settings in the Options Bar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @c.pfaffenbichler ,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines