Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to do it? Color Jitter

Participant ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

someone cold help me to understand how could be made the artwork below?

In particular  how have been realized the jitter of different shades of color.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5026.JPG

[Title edited for clarity by moderator. Was “how to do it.”]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some options would be to use a displacement map or smudge tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They might have added an inner glow. im on my phone away from home right now, but will take a closer look when I get home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind my reply above - I couldn't see it so well on my phone. Trying a drop shadow - stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you know how to use Free Transform to stretch some text.

Remember you'll need to rasterize the text and split it up into separate layers, or the horizontal components will become fatter.

Displacement Map would definitely do the distortion as Chuck says, but I was thinking Filter > Distort > Wave might be quicker.

I made that conditional, because I don't use Wave often, and find it a bit trial and error to get the settings I like.

So with that in mind, make the layer a Smart Object, so you can keep going back in and trying different settings.

I ended up with these settings on text 700 pixels wide

Which gave me this

Because you'll want to fine tune the shape etc. use Layer Styles to do the other effects

What you can't do with this approach, is change the text after distorting it.  The problem is that you can't make the text layer a Smart Object, because of the need to split into separate layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot  Trevor.Dennis​ it been very usefull,

but i'm in trouble in particular with the jitter/striped effect on borders of text.

Schermata 2019-03-23 alle 12.18.23.pngSchermata 2019-03-23 alle 12.18.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You could try something like this

Starting with the wavy text as shown by Trevor, create another document the same size as your current and fill a layer with 50% gray. Go to Filter Gallery an choose Half-Tone pattern, with size 1 and pattern type "Line"

Go to the channels panel and Select the Green channel - and fill it with 50% gray. Repeat for the blue channel

This should leave you with a horizontal striped patten in the Red Channel.

Save this as DisplaceMap.psd (ensure Maximise compatibility is checked in Preferences File Handling)

In your text document put the text and background in a smart object and duplicate it.

On the upper duplicate use Filter Distort >Displace with scale set to 1 or 2 and choose the DisplaceMap.psd you made above as the displacement map.

Add a gaussian blur and change the blend mode to luminosity. Adjust the opacity to get the effect you need.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, that's a clever workaround.  I've tried to think of an alternative, but it always comes back to Halftone one way or another.

What I did is create the 50% layer and apply Halftone > Lines.  I compressed that vertically by 50%, copied, moved down, and merged the layers to give me finer lines.  This is a section at 100% zoom — the lines appear closer in Photoshop.

From there I kept it simple.

Turned off the lines layer.

Duplicate the artwork layer.

Copied the lines layer as a selection, and add a layer mask to the duplicated artwork layer.

It was then down to offsetting the upper artwork layer.  I quite like this approach as it is so easy to vary the effect by using the move tool.

BTW  I did look at the Video filters with a vague thought about deinterlacing, but I've never used those filters before, so did not have a clear idea of how they work.  I also looked at Wind, but the lowest setting is way to much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis​ i think the closest option is the one you shown in the first picture above, but i didn't understood the process

please could you show it more clearly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matibuc4eva  wrote

Thanks a lot  Trevor.Dennis  it been very usefull,

but i'm in trouble in particular with the jitter/striped effect on borders of text.

Schermata 2019-03-23 alle 12.18.23.pngSchermata 2019-03-23 alle 12.18.05.png

Pretty much looks like some Gaussian Blur was used, maybe after a rough outline of the original text was made/copied and then masked after the "scanlines" were applied.

That's my guess, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That part almost looks to me like it's just an image (raster) that was blown up a lot larger than its original size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please someone could tell me what does it mean when Trevor.Dennis​ say: "Copied lines layer as a selection" and "add a layer mask"

I miss just this step, but in that context i don't understand how to proceed.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the lines layer at the top of the stack so it is covering the rest of the graphic, and ctrl click any of the channels.

I've zoomed well in here for the sake of clarity.

Ask as many questions as you like.  We'll never get fed up answering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry Trevor.Dennis​ but i can't understand the procedure to achieve the image you posted above:

pastedImage_1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.

First we need to make some lines.  We'll use Halftone, but that filter needs something to work with, so we fill a new layer with grey.  The exact shade of grey does not matter.

Now you MUST set foreground/background colours to black and white.  Hit the D key to make that happen.

Go Filter > Sketch > Halftone

Use these settings

I thought the lines were not spaced closely enough when I made my previous post, so I doubled up, but let's ignore that step for now.

So I turn off the Halftone lines layer, and copy the artwork layer (Ctrl J)

Now we need to load the lines layer as a selection, because we need to use it in a mask.

So we turn the lines layer back on, and go to the Chanels panel (you can undock the panels and drag out to the middle of the screen like I have, if that makes it easier).

With the lines layer turned on, Ctrl click _any_ of the channels.  I've highlighted the Blue channel, but they are all the same so it does not matter.  You should see the marching ants to indicated that the black lines are selected, and the white lines are not selected.

Now we turn off the lines layer, and add a layer mask the copy of the background layer by clicking  on the icon at the bottom of the layers panel.

Your layers panel should now look like this

What happens now is that where the layer mask has black, it will hide that layer's contents.  Where the layer mask is white, it will show the layer's content.  So if we move the upper layer sideways.

You just about see the transparent area to the left of the upper layer.

I'll move it some more to make it more apparent

You can see that the jitter effect is fairly course. What I did to fix that was use Free Transform (Ctrl T) on the lines layer.

You need to hold down the Shift key, and drag the top center handle down to about half way

OK that, and copy the lines layer (Ctrl J)

Move the copy to the top of the page so it lines up with the original lines layer

Then merge the lines layer (Select both layers and use Ctrl E)

You will now be back to where you were earlier, but with finer line spacing

Giving you a finer jitter effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm travelling for a few days, so can't help you till you get home, but Dave, or Chuck or someone will help I am sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines