• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit text of PSD template?

Explorer ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not familiar with Photoshop, so I have to ask a question. How do you edit text of a PSD template? Photoshop doesn't show any text layers of this template. What is the mode which brings the text layers visible? Please find a screenshot attached.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click on the layer that says "Your image here". It is a smart object, so double clicking will open that smart object as a separate document with its own layers. You can edit it that document as you require then close it, choosing 'Save' when prompted. The main document will then update.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I have double clicked on the layer saying "Your image here" but nothing happens after did so. As one of the training videos about Photoshop on YouTube explains, this can happen because Photoshop doesn't recognize the font used on template. This is why there are no text layers visible. Is there a way to match fonts or use your the fonts already available on the platform?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have double clicked on the layer saying "Your image here" but nothing happens after did so."

You must click on layer's thumbnail not on layer. It will create new tab and open in that tab content of Smart Object layer.

"As one of the training videos about Photoshop on YouTube explains, this can happen because Photoshop doesn't recognize the font used on template. "

If Photoshop can not recognize font you will see exclamantion mark, Smart Object layer will be edited. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I did click on the thumbnail and it brought next tab showing the exclamation marks with text layers. It seems Photoshop can't recognize the font type used on the template. What to do next? Please see a screenshotPhotoshop2.JPG attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply highlight the text and overtype it with your own text using a typeface of your choosing.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My idea was to find a logo template and just edit its text. Previously I have mainly used Paint, Paint.net and Canva for image creation and text editing. The last-mentioned is perhaps the easiest to use. It didn't require many minutes after I created a logo by Canva. Naturally Photoshop is superior tool by which you can create unique graphics and edit images. It has been used by professionals in this field. So for occasional user like me, Photoshop is challenging to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canva is using in their creations only fonts that are available to user when editing design. Templates for Photoshop on other side are using, sometimes, fonts that are not available on user system. Usually template designers are informing users about font used and how to get that font. 

I think your template needs Monserrat font which should be available through Adobe Fonts Montserrat | Adobe Fonts. Just visit Adobe Fonts and activate Monserrat Bold what should solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My idea was to find a logo template and just edit its text. 

By @Reima15A9

Once you have changed the font and saved the Smart Object, save the document as a PSD file, and use it as a new template going forward.  You can simply edit the text as described after this.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Reima15A9 wrote:

"I am not familiar with Photoshop"

"It has been used by professionals in this field. So for occasional user like me, Photoshop is challenging to use."

Yes, Photoshop can be challenging if you don't take the time to learn it first. If you are setting up your own document, you don't have to use a Smart Object for the text. The creator of this template did, though, so you have to work with that.

00FF158F-C946-4E9A-B455-4F2770A94830.jpeg

The way this template is structured is that you see three layers in the layers panel

• The bottom layer is the reflection of what looks like light coming through a window
  • The middle layer is a Group that has all the effects that jazz up the text
  • The top layer is a Smart Object that contains two text layers: one for the upper text and one for the lower text.

All you need to do is open the SO, type your own text, change the typeface if you don't have Montserrat Bold, then close the SO. 

When you got the pop-up about the missing typeface, did you click either "Replace" or "Manage"?

• You could have used Replace to choose a typeface installed on your own system.
  • I'm fairly certain "Manage" takes to Adobe Fonts where you can install Montserrat Bold. Adobe Fonts are included with your subscription.

035E3F57-31A3-4AAB-B107-572600BD5B35.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How do you edit text of a PSD template?"

As already explained by @davescm you must edit Smart Object layer. After double clicking on thumbnail of [Your Image Here] layer post screenshot so we can give you more precise instructions what exactly to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10.45.47 PM.png

dont have a edit text option

what do i do to edit the text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Double click top layer's thumbnail. It will open in new tab. Change text then save and close. If you do not have type layer then you must use/place pixel based image instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines