• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export 'Lighten Blending Mode' to Transparent PNG

Enthusiast ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community, i'm still confuse how to export 'Lighten Blending Mode' to transparent PNG.

I have a light leaks image with black background like below :

Leaks 1.png

Then for my layer panel, i have background image below this light leak image.

To make this light leak image transparent, i can use 'Lighten' blending mode, like below :

qqq.jpg

Now, the case is i want to hide the background photo and just want the transparent light leaks.

when i want to export just light light to transparent PNG, the background become black, not transparent

Untitled.jpg

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-
TOPICS
SDK , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Dave is absolutely right, blend modes don't apply to single layers. It's the relationship, not the thing.

However, there is a nifty little workaround. Put a layer underneath and use "Blend If", splitting the black slider and moving the right fallof point all the way up.

Then hide the underlying layer and Export. Now the dark values are transparent, gradually going to opaque in higher values.

If the whole thing is a little too transparent, duplicate a couple of times. It works in Normal ble

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Hi

To add a mask to the layer based on its luminosity, just click on the RGB channel in the channels panel and then on the small dotted circle at the bottom of the channels panel which will load the channel as a selection.

2022-01-01_21-07-37.jpg

Then go to the layers panel and use menu Layer > Layer Mask >Reveal selection

2022-01-01_21-08-05.jpg

If you prefer you could use one of the single channels such as Red, Green or Blue as the basis for the mask. You can also click on the mask and adjust it using Image >Adjustments>Curves

Dav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A blend mode is an interaction between two layers so can't be exported as a single layer.

Instead you could make a mask from the luminosity of the light leak layer.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @davescm , but how can to do that? i can add mask, but i don't undestand how to mask from luminosity. Would you please add some example? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

To add a mask to the layer based on its luminosity, just click on the RGB channel in the channels panel and then on the small dotted circle at the bottom of the channels panel which will load the channel as a selection.

2022-01-01_21-07-37.jpg

Then go to the layers panel and use menu Layer > Layer Mask >Reveal selection

2022-01-01_21-08-05.jpg

If you prefer you could use one of the single channels such as Red, Green or Blue as the basis for the mask. You can also click on the mask and adjust it using Image >Adjustments>Curves

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi@davescm , thanks so much. I have just known about this trick. Amazing for beginer like me. This is 'next level thing' in my photoshop editing. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @davescm , i have solved my problem by doing what your suggest (luminosity masking).

But i still have another question in Illustrator. I have create a circle shape with gradient and then blend it to screen/lighten.

Same as my problem in Photoshop, when i hide background layer, my circle shape become black. Do you know the solution for it to keep its transparency? Thanks.

Preview :

AI Ask.jpg

AI Ask 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get transparency, change your object's gradient to go from light at 100% to dark at 0% opacity rather than to solid black. However that will still not give you the same effect as the screen blend mode - because screen interacts with the colour on the layer below. So,  if there is no colour below you will see only the light gradient colour.

2022-01-02_22-23-11.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @davescm 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave is absolutely right, blend modes don't apply to single layers. It's the relationship, not the thing.

However, there is a nifty little workaround. Put a layer underneath and use "Blend If", splitting the black slider and moving the right fallof point all the way up.

Then hide the underlying layer and Export. Now the dark values are transparent, gradually going to opaque in higher values.

If the whole thing is a little too transparent, duplicate a couple of times. It works in Normal blend mode, but probably looks more natural in Lighten mode.

Leaks4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much @D Fosse , i have tried blendif (blending options) but this is not what i want,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But for now, this trick can be solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something I suggest to the product manager of Photoshop, several years ago, and he liked the idea, but nothing has been done about it. I would suggest a post as a feature request that can be voted on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Chuck Uebele ,give me a link and i will vote it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Chuck Uebele ,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines