• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix jaggy lines in scanned document

Contributor ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a client who does caligraphy and sent me a pdf that she would like printed. She sent a scan of her original artboard and asked if I could "clean it up". The letters are very jagged and I don't know how to fix them.  Please see attached. 

Can anyone give me some pointers? I'm not very conversant in photoshop.

Thank you,

Annette

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no nice way to say this: tell her to do it again, properly this time. You can't do anything here except recreate it.

She has made a bitmap image at very low resolution and then enlarged it. If this has to be done as a pixel image, tell her to at least start out in decent resolution.

But this should properly be done as vector art. Illustrator is what you would use for this, not Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested, a proper high-resolution scan would be ideal.

If you client is happy to have their no doubt excellent original calligraphy "processed/interpreted"...

Filter > Noise > Median 10px or so.

Then some retouching...

Is it worth the time and effort?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Stephen_A_Marsh and D Fosse for your replies. 

D Fosse, your comments reaffirm what I was thinking, that this was a very low res image. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to fix it but I think I should ask her for her artboards and maybe I can get a better scan. 

Stephen_A_Marsh, I did try your method of using the filter-noise and that helped a lot! I am learning photoshop through Linkedin Learning but I'm still in the beginning of my training so that's very helpful to know.

Thank you both again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines