• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get the height of a layer from the layers pannel

Engaged ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that the height of the layers is different for different canvas sizes,This is a layer height About 41 pixels and width:height=1:1.

QQ截图20190320101341.png

The data are irrelevant,oh,I just want to get the layer height,please help me !

QQ截图20190320102420.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

龚亮g64532194  wrote

yes,That's about what I mean,the hard part is I don't know the rules, and I don't know how to compute it.

It's straight math.  If the thumbnail is set to Large, and the document is 1000 X 800 pixels, then the layer height will be:

800 / 1000 =  0.8 so 78 (width in pixels) X 0.8 = 62.4

You  monitor can't  show fractions of a pixel, so I'm guessing that the thumbnail would be 78 X 62 pixels

If the document was 800 X  1000  pixels, the thumbnail height is going to be 78 pixels so, in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean for the current document selected layer? Does the layer have content (pixel, text, vector etc)?

Or do you mean for the actual layers panel interface?

options.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i need the actual layers panel interface,when you create a  new docment setting width and height,the layer pannel is fiexed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer can be any size.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

believe there should be a calculation rule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not easy to work out.  For square documents the thumbnail widths are

Those widths are fixed until the document becomes taller than it is wide.

I have not measured it, but I bet the height of the thumbnail in the second screen shot below  is 78 pixels, so the width would be 8 pixels.

You can do the math to work out the thumbnail height according to the document aspect ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes,That's about what I mean,the hard part is I don't know the rules, and I don't know how to compute it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

龚亮g64532194  wrote

It's straight math.  If the thumbnail is set to Large, and the document is 1000 X 800 pixels, then the layer height will be:

You  monitor can't  show fractions of a pixel, so I'm guessing that the thumbnail would be 78 X 62 pixels

If the document was 800 X  1000  pixels, the thumbnail height is going to be 78 pixels so, in this case, the thumbnail width will be 62 pixels.

You can test it  using screen shots and pasting into Photoshop.

Zoom way in so you can see the pixel grid, and drag a selection around the thumbnail.

The heads  up will  show the pixel size.

In this case you can see my estimate was one pixel out in one direction, and half a pixel in the other.  I suspect this will be always be repeatable and predictable.

[EDIT]  I have just realised that you have an Excel screen shot in your first post, so  you could make a very simple worksheet to give you those sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Trevor, that's brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Trevor's calculation shows how to calculate the thumbnail size on a layer panel in an interface that has not been scaled in UI scaling or scaling picked up from Windows system settings.

The actual height of a "layer" in the layers panel will depend on such scaling and also whether any additional styles or smart filters have been applied to the layer. I suspect only Adobe's developers would know the entire answer.

I am intrigued to understand why you need the info and what you would do with it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What the aspect ratio of the thumbnials will be depends on the options set for the panel viewing options and size chosen or they may choose none.  The cal also chang when you edit layers and canvas the sizes are dynamic and change with aspect ratio changes and constranet to an area which can also change position within the layer palette n because of the wat Adobe add Frame Mask before layer content. A Layer  layout can change.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers can be any size except for Photoshop Background layer it does not support transparency so it will always be Canvas size.  You can not get the layers size from the layer Palette.  You can get a layers bounds with a Photoshop  script.  From Photoshop's UI you can target a layer in the layers Palette then use ctrl+T free transform to see where the layer bounds are. Free transform bounding box will snap to the layers bounds.  You may nee to zoom way out to see a layer bound when  the layers the has  pixels that are off canvas. The is also information in the tool option bar where the center anchor point relative to the canvas the with and height perhaps an angle.  A layer like a smart object layer can also be warped and distorted and has smart filters.

A Photoshop script could be programmed to write a text file that list a document current layer names and their current bounds.  These of course can be change they are changeable.  Adobe Photoshop Scripting

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks ,i doesn't need layer bounds but actual layer height in layer pannel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers can be any size  and shape the layers bounds are rectangular a layer's max width and max height. These can be change with processing. If you transform a layer you change its size its bounds change.  If you add text to a text layer it size changes.  If you paint in an empty area on a layer it bounds may change.  Only a background layer is fixed to the canvas  size and a document canvas size  can be changes using canvas size.

Photoshop does not display and size information in the layers palette. Size information is in the layers data you can get that information via Photoshop scripting.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's maybe only adobe developers know this calculation rule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you know the rules the Layer Palette itself is not fixed will change by some editing of the document features and users have options that they can customize the view for their use of the palette. Thumbnails aspect ratios are the same as the Documents  or Layer bounds aspect ratio aspect ratio if displayed and will be fitted to one of three size area choices and the contents can bet relative to the layers bounds or document canvas.  All of which is changeable  with layer palettes options

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the actually,i mean to the height of every layer item in Layer pannel,That's my  result,the layer Item height range is 23~40 pixels

QQ截图20190320200008.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is the Layer Palette is dynamic thing  that change with view options and editing layers and canvas features.   You can perhaps capture it for a moment in time for its current view option settings.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines