• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to go about creating an image suitable for cnc engraving

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, so I am quite new to Photoshop. I would like to know how you would go about creating a smooth sharp vector image ready for cnc engraving. I am working as a 3D artist at a company and I would like to make a gift for my little sister. That would be a wooden cnc cut clock. Now on to the question. I am trying to create an image with smooth lines and as much detail from this image Screenshot - 242fc8a002e35332d56fe873f2cb8579 - Gyazo but the image is quite small and in bad quality. I'm wondering what would be the best approach to achieve sharp vector image like this Screenshot - 89f54e0c5062cc20fc6c95b1d8c57d04 - Gyazo with as much detail preserved. Thanks for any replies.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

You could trace the image with the pen tool in Photoshop to create a vector shape.

Draw with Pen tools in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say Illustrator would be better for the job

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm, I'm not familiar with illustrator, could you post an example in a form of video or explain how exactly to do it please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could trace the image with the pen tool in Photoshop to create a vector shape.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'll play around with the pen tools, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried an automatic image trace in Illustrator for S&G and it came out pretty good...

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 1.52.11 PM (2).png

You want to paste the higher resolution image into illustrator, select it, and select "make and expand" from the menu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I was thinking about the first image, this one was already finished. This is the image I want to get into vector Screenshot - 242fc8a002e35332d56fe873f2cb8579 - Gyazo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I was thinking about the first image, this one was already finished. This is the image I want to get into vector Screenshot - 242fc8a002e35332d56fe873f2cb8579 - Gyazo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I see now. this one you may need to draw out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yea, I did one manually but it was quite simple. This one has a bit more detail so I was looking for a better way, but this curvature tool looks really cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may help... They work about the same in both programs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has few vector tool.  Photoshop is Adobe pixel editor  Illustrator is Adobe vector editor. AI is what you most likely should use. However if you have a clean smooth simple BW like that Cinderella clip art.  Photoshop can quickly and easily create a vector path for that that simple image,  It will not be a perfect path but with Photoshop vector tools you can improve what Photoshop quickly did.   Again AI is  adobe vector editor, I have never use it.  It has a trace feature which most likely would produce a better Path than Photoshop.  It would also be a lot of work to fix up Photoshop path.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines