• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to leave grey space around the image when opening in photoshop?

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys i do a lot of real estate photogrpahy and edit a bunch of pictures a day.

Im wondering how can i leave some grey space around the image when i open it so cropping can be done quicker.

instead of dragging the workspace to overlap the image. im using Photoshop 21.0.2

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post but I am searching for the exact same thing.  I'm using Photoshop 2021.  It would save me a tremendous amount of time on some scanning projects I'm working on as I have to grab the corner and change the size each time to create some space to make cropping easier.  Hopefully this comment will bump the question.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screen shot of a typical example. Are your files opening within tabs by default or in stand-alone windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing....thanks for taking the time to reply Michael.  The bottom image is how a file would typically open and the one on the top is how I'd like for it to open.  Does that add any clarity to my request?  I do have my preferences set to not open images in tabs.  

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 5.17.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 5.17.32 PM.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about resizing the canvas outward and filling with gray?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that I need the actual image file to have the gray area....I need the workspace to start with this gray area without me having to grab the bottom right corner and create it myself.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, I recommend Window > Application Frame to get rid of surounding distractions.

Next, consider the F key to provide a maximum surround, if that is your preferred style.

Last,  also consider View > Rulers so that you may drag out reference lines to confirm verticals and horizontals in you real estate images and adjust them with Transform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines