• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a duplicate of a pattern preset?

Participant ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to duplicate an old Pattern preset, located in the Patterns panel, so I can then drag-and-drop it to another group.  I believe you used to get a copy of the selected pattern when you invoked the "Create new pattern" command, then you could drag the copy to a different group.  This is how it worked for Brush presets, anyway.  Now "Create new pattern" turns the visible layers into a pattern preset.

Using Photoshop 25.4.0 on Mac mini M1 with macOS Sonoma 14.2.1

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you drag a preset, being Brush, Pattern or Shape, to a new group, it will dissappear from the original group, but if you load the originalk group again, the presets will all be there.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor, that makes sense.  Except--having discovered that some of those tiny default patterns meet a need if I resize them, I have rearranged the Legacy Patterns supergroup, and shortly I will save it to my personal PATTERNS folder.  

Are you the Community Expert who makes up your own Groups with the shipped presets that you've found useful and who only saves (exports) those groups?  There is some common sense in that.  What do you do with all the shipped presets, like Brushes for instance?  To keep the Brushes panel list clean, do you delete the shipped brushes (which doesn't delete them from the hard drive, I know.)  Or do you leave all those brush groups in the list and ignore them, placing your personal groups at the top and only using them?   

I went the opposite way, saving the groups I've made myself, the shipped groups, and the optional downloadable groups (e.g., all the Kyle brushes!) in my personal BRUSHES folder.  I guess you would say that doing this, as a way to guarantee that I hold onto every preset that my subscription dollars have paid for is, well, madness!  LOL   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case this could help someone else one day, here is the workaround I devised to create a duplicate of a preset and put it in another group.  I'll use a pattern preset as an example

1. In the Patterns panel, select the preset you want to duplicate and, in the panel menu, select Export Selected Patterns ...    On Mac, the Finder window will open.
  2. Save the single preset in your personal Patterns folder (whether that is the default folder that ships with Photoshop, for saving your own downloaded presets, or a folder that you have set up for yourself outside of the Photoshop program.)
  3. In the Patterns panel, in the menu, choose Import Patterns . . .  Finder opens.
  4. In your Patterns folder, double-click on the pattern preset you just saved there.
  5. The reloaded pattern should appear at the bottom of the presets list in the Patterns panel.
  6. Drag and drop the pattern to the target group.
  7. To save the amended parent group, select all the presets and/or groups within it.  Do not select the parent folder itself, just its contents.
  8. Use Export Selected Patterns . . . to replace the existing patterns group file with the amended one.
  9. Lastly, to clear the single pattern file from your Patterns folder,  browse to the folder using Finder (on Mac)  and delete the file.  

Note:  The folders provided by Photoshop for the purpose of saving presets you download or create yourself are located here on a Mac:  /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 2024/Presets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do to duplicate a Pattern is kind of a kludge. Hover over the Pattern in the Patterns panel, and note the size. Make a new document that size, and fill with the pattern, followed by Define Pattern (with a different name).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mr35905360rzil, I have never seen a Duplicate Pattern available in the context menu. This is all I've ever seen:

Semaphoric_0-1710337691302.png

This is from v 25.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines