• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a selection from a masked object?

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to find an easy way to make a selection out of a masked object but can't seem to figure it out. 

I know if I hold Ctrl and click on the mask it will select it. But that selects the whole object including the hidden part. But what I want to do is to only select the masked part of the object. (i hope I am making sense)

Is there an easy way to do this without having the manually deselect part of the selection with possibly the magnetic lasso (which is what I have been doing)

Many thanks in advance for any help.

cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by the marked part. Can you show a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Chuck, I would guess it means the unmasked part?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(duplicate)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typo, it should have said masked I am of course referring to the clipping mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, indeed,  there was a file attached (this option is annoying) I would first Ctrl+Click the top mask, then do an intersect bolean operation: CTRL+SHIFT +ALT click on the thumbnail of the mug. SHIFT CTRL adds, ALT CTRL removes.

( or a Right-click on the thumbnail and select Intersect transparency mask.

Instead of Marked, the term is a Clipping Mask in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, thanks for your reply. Yes, I was referring to the clipping mask, but had an auto-correct typo which should have read 'mask', not 'marked'... 

And yes, you would have expected better attachment options from adobe... Anyway...  

Unfortunately, your suggestion didn't work. Ctrl+Alt gets me close to what I need. The attachment Mask2.png is basically what I get from that. And from there I can simply delete the hidden area of the masked object. But then it still leaves a faint line (Mask3.png).

But essentially, I was hoping there would be a way I can simply slick to select as I have with Mask.png. But unfortunately, the only way I have figured out how to do it is by using the magnetic lasso - which is totally doable, but I want a much faster simpler method for when I need to do this technique on a large number of images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines