• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a transparent alpha channel

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a logo with a transparent background. I adjusted the fill opacity to 50% and then made an alpha channel from it.  My alpha channel appears in my Channel tab as 100% opaque, no transparency.  How do I create an alpha channel with a certain level of transparency in it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want a 50% opacity Alpha channel, then fill a layer at the top of the stack with 50% grey, and drag any channel to the new channel icon.  Then delete the 50% grey layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I probably misunderstood this, but it completely didn't work for me.  On the layer tab I made the gray 50% transparent layer, went to the channel tab and dragged the blue channel to the new channel icon, went back to the layer tab and deleted the gray layer.  The result was a hot mess.  Lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leave the layer opacity at 100%.

Fill it with 50% grey which is this colour, but easier to just go Edit > Fill > 50%

Drag any channel to the New Channel icon.

Job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Alpha Channel are a grayscale raster image like layer mask they are a like a section.  White Fully Selected, Black not selected, Gray partly selected.  You can actually save a selection as an Alpha channel and you can load an Alpha channel as a selection.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your logo has a transparent background all you need do is set the Logo layer layer's opacity to the transparency level you want and leave fill set to 100%.  However, you need to save it into an Image file format that support transparency Like PNG, PSD etc not Jpeg not GIF

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I did try this, but it didn't work for me.  I adjusted the transparencies like you suggested, control clicked on the layer image and saved the selection as a channel.  While my RGB looks transparent, the alpha channel is straight up black and white, no gray.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No save the document as a file in an Image File type the supports transparency like png.

Capture.jpg

LOGO100.pngLOGO75.pngLOGO50.pngLOGO25.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JuliaS2000  wrote

Thanks, I did try this, but it didn't work for me. ... the alpha channel is straight up black and white, no gray.  

Hi Julia,

Can you show a screen shot of what you have and also tell us what it is that you are trying to achieve by “creat[ing] an alpha channel with a certain level of transparency”?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JuliaS2000  wrote

I have a logo with a transparent background. I adjusted the fill opacity to 50% and then made an alpha channel from it.  My alpha channel appears in my Channel tab as 100% opaque, no transparency.  How do I create an alpha channel with a certain level of transparency in it?

What are you trying to do? What will your Alpha channel be used for. Why do you need an Alpha channel for a logo? Alpha channels are Grayscale maps,  Black Completely empty nothing, White 100% Opaque no Transparency. Shade of gray map  transparency levels. Alpha channels are saved selection..  You can Ctrl+Click on your LOGO layer content  in the layers palette to load the layers transparency as a selection and save that selection as your logo Transparency Alpha channel.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines