• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make an image less sharp in photoshop?

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I have recently submitted some images to a client, and he said that they were overly sharp, so I was wondering is there a way to make images less sharp in photoshop?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We're here to help.

Which version of Photoshop are you using? You can try different "Blur" options in Photoshop to make the images less sharp.

Please check this article for a detailed explanation of how we can use the blur feature in Photoshop to make the images perfect: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adjusting-image-sharpness-blur.html.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a small blur? You can also look at your processing workflow, for example I have tested DXO PureRAW and it terribly oversharpens my 5Dsr RAW files but does a lot better job on 6D and 80D files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember to apply Filters as Smart Filters to maintain editability. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your client means they are overly sharpened, with noticeable halos, blurring wouldn't really help. One approach I can think of is running Filter > Other > High Pass on a duplicate layer, and use some combination of blending modes and Image > Calculations or Apply Image to combine the two. Sort of a reverse Unsharp Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Lumigraphics wrote, you may wish to evaluate your entire workflow regarding where/how sharpening is applied.

After a certain point, sharpening is very subjective. How is your client evaluating? What is the intended use? For example, print output would require more sharpening than for screen and different papers and print methods would require different sharpening.

Another way to subtly blur is through interpolation. Dupe the image, then enlarge it 200% using your preferred resampling method. Then resample it down to 50% using your preferred resampling method. Some resampling methods soften, others have sharpening built into them. You can then layer the resampled version over the original and adjust opacity to taste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to make images less sharp in photoshop?

This is a big topic with no single straight answer other than it depends. It's closely related to workflow.

As the others have indicated, it would help to know your workflow. Are you working with Raw files? Are you delivering JPGs? How and when you are sharpening and by how much?

It's possible that a remedial blur at this point may do more harm than good. Without seeing the images, it's hard to offer useful comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jaguarjjj wrote:

I have recently submitted some images to a client, and he said that they were overly sharp, so I was wondering is there a way to make images less sharp in photoshop?

Can you tell us how you applied the sharpening and what settings you used?

• In ACR (non-destructive)?
  • To a Smart Object (non-destructive)?
  • Directly to the image (destructive)

If you sharpened destructively, did you do it to a copy? If so, start again with the unsharpened original.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys

I work my raws in Capture one pro 22 version, then take 16 bit tiff files into Photoshop cc for further blending, editing, clean ups... etc

You can view full res images on that link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g985zno4m6xr27g/AADcuglYSHSejhv6IPCXl32qa?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jaguarjjj wrote:

I work my raws in Capture one pro 22 version, then take 16 bit tiff files into Photoshop cc for further blending, editing, clean ups... etc

Hi

This doesn't mention where you did the sharpening. Can you answer this earlier question?

"Can you tell us how you applied the sharpening and what settings you used?"

If you did the sharpening in Capture One, you can try their support page:

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do the sharpening in capture one indeed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@jaguarjjj wrote:

I do the sharpening in capture one indeed

I don't use Capture One works and don't know if it works destructively or non-destructively. If you have a non-destructive workflow, you can reduce the sharpening. If you have a destructive workflow, you are better off starting again with the RAW image instead of trying to apply a fix afterwards.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines