• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open two photos on top of each other and aligning them.

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm sure I've done this before, but I don't use PS often and I'm really struggling.

I want to place one image on top of another and align elements in the photos. (Eventually I would like to create an animation that fades from one photo to the other, but I'm saving that for another day!)

A Google search says things like select "both photos and auto align" but can't even do that! I need some really basic step by step instructions as I'm struggling to even open both photos at the same time (they come up as seperate windows in PS). I belive I want to use 'Auto Align', but i don't seem to be able to select both photos at the same time to do this.

I'm sure it's quite simple (or should be) when you know how.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Method 1:

Open both Photos in Photoshop, go to one of the images, select all, copy and close that image. Paste the clipboard contents from the second image into the new image. You should have both images as layers in the layer panel. Select both layers by shift or cmd/ctrl clicking both layers in the layers panel. Edit > Auto-align layers

Method 2: 

File > Scripts > Load layers into stack. You should have both images as layers in the layer panel. Select both layers by shift or cmd/ctrl clickin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Method 1:

Open both Photos in Photoshop, go to one of the images, select all, copy and close that image. Paste the clipboard contents from the second image into the new image. You should have both images as layers in the layer panel. Select both layers by shift or cmd/ctrl clicking both layers in the layers panel. Edit > Auto-align layers

Method 2: 

File > Scripts > Load layers into stack. You should have both images as layers in the layer panel. Select both layers by shift or cmd/ctrl clicking both layers in the layers panel. Edit > Auto-align layers.

Method 3:

Use one of the preceding methods to layer both images. Set the upper layer to difference blend mode. Use the move tool and or the arrow keys to nudge one layer over the other. Perfect alignment would be a black image. Once aligned, change the upper layer back to normal blend mode (difference blend mode is just used to help align).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! Thanks Stephen, all three methods worked a treat.

Method 2 looks best for me as the photos are from slightly different viewpoints. Loading as a 'stack' allowed me to tick the box to correct 'geometric distortion' which looks like it's giving me what I want.

Method 3 produces a great effect! Probably better for photos taken from a fixed point.

Thanks again,

Lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always used Bridge.  The great unsung hero in the Adobe app line up.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Trevor. I've not used Bridge before but it worked perfectly. Looks like a useful tool that could do with a bit more exploration!

Cheers,

Lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines