• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to print guides?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, can anyone tell me how I can have the guide lines print out when I'm printing a document?

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

There are a lot of registration/crop/etc. marks you can invoke through the Print dialog (by clicking Color Management and changing it to Output), but unfortunately I don't believe there's any way you can print Guides.

You could do a screen grab and print that, I suppose.  There would be obvious resolution and possibly color issues with doing that, but perhaps it can get you close.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Guides won't print. So, you can simulate guides with these settings:

Stroke width: 0.1 pt

Outline color: #4AFFFF

And that's it!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Here is a script from 2017 (I can't credit the original unknown author, it may have been SuperMerlin), it allows you to pick the printable guide colour and thickness as a path while retaining the actual non-printable guides:

// https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2360122

//Requires Photoshop CS5 or newer
#target photoshop;
if(documents.length) app.activeDocument.suspendHistory('Stroke Guides', 'main()');
function main(){
activeDocument.artLayers.add();
activeDocument.activeLayer.name="Stroked Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot of registration/crop/etc. marks you can invoke through the Print dialog (by clicking Color Management and changing it to Output), but unfortunately I don't believe there's any way you can print Guides.

You could do a screen grab and print that, I suppose.  There would be obvious resolution and possibly color issues with doing that, but perhaps it can get you close.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past, when I need the Guides, or the Grid to print, I would have them ON, and then do a Save. Next, I would Open that PSD in Corel Painter, and they would be there, embedded. I could then Print from Painter, to get those. This worked up through Painter 8, but I have not needed to do so, and cannot tell if this "useful problem" still exists in more recent Painter versions.

Obviously, there is a downside to the above behavior - if one does the Save to PSD, and they do NOT want the Guides/Grid, in Painter, they had to remember to turn those OFF. I hit upon this by mistake, but remembered it, as I later had use for it.

Not sure of any other easy way to get the Guides/Grid though, and while Painter is a great program, it would hardly be worth the price, just for this.

Now, one could create a new Layer, make sure that Snap to Guides was ON, then use the Pen Tool to "trace" the Guides, and on the New Layer, set up the Pencil Tool to maybe 2 pixels Hard with the desired color, then Stroke the Paths created with the Pen Tool. Note: to constrain the Paths, hold down Shift. This is how I create my "Alignment Guides" for Video Title editing, as PrPro's Titler does not have Rulers, or Guides.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

In the past, when I need the Guides, or the Grid to print, I would have them ON, and then do a Save. Next, I would Open that PSD in Corel Painter, and they would be there, embedded. I could then Print from Painter, to get those. This worked up through Painter 8, but I have not needed to do so, and cannot tell if this "useful problem" still exists in more recent Painter versions.

This is very interesting.  It works as you say with Painter 11. If the Photoshop file is saved as a .tif, the guides don't show in Painter. If the Photoshop file is saved as a .psd, the file when opened in Painter shows the guides as black lines which are part of the image.

untitled.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that clarification. I only have Painter 9 (the one with the really spooky hand), so could not verify that 10 & 11 behave the same way.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nuttersanonymous! wrote:

hi, can anyone tell me how I can have the guide lines print out when I'm printing a document?

thanks

The guide lines won't prnt... what you can do is draw lines on the document (preferably on a new layer) to match the guidelines. Then print those.

Edit: As Hunt says...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2011 Apr 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about the Marquee Tool Single Row, can be either horizontal or vertical, then fill the selection with colour of choice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guides won't print. So, you can simulate guides with these settings:

Stroke width: 0.1 pt

Outline color: #4AFFFF

And that's it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I found works: 

1. Go to VIEW > Outlines > Guides > Unlock Guides

2. Using Selection Tool, select all the Guide lines.

3. Now, go to VIEW > Outlines > Guides > RELEASE Guides

Your Guides will turn into a normal, regular path. You should be able to change Stroke color, pt, opacity, etc. 

Finally, save your project as PDF. Print it out. It will show you the "Guides" (which we turned into a stroke/path line). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default9a6gq81uwxff â€“ Are you perhaps thinking of Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's Illustrator — not Photoshop.

InDesign will print visible guides by simply checking a box in the Print dialog. This might be worth a feature request.

janee_0-1638495291949.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a script from 2017 (I can't credit the original unknown author, it may have been SuperMerlin), it allows you to pick the printable guide colour and thickness as a path while retaining the actual non-printable guides:

// https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2360122

//Requires Photoshop CS5 or newer
#target photoshop;
if(documents.length) app.activeDocument.suspendHistory('Stroke Guides', 'main()');
function main(){
activeDocument.artLayers.add();
activeDocument.activeLayer.name="Stroked Guides";
app.showColorPicker();
var newColour = app.foregroundColor;
var guideSize = Window.prompt("Please enter Stroke Size!","1");
var guides = app.activeDocument.guides;
var guideArray = [];
for( var g = 0; g < guides.length; g++ ){
    singleLine(guides[g].direction.toString(), Number(guides[g].coordinate.value).toFixed(0) );
    if(Number(guideSize) > 1)
   activeDocument.selection.stroke (newColour, Number(guideSize), StrokeLocation.OUTSIDE, ColorBlendMode.NORMAL, 100, false);
   activeDocument.selection.stroke (newColour, Number(guideSize), StrokeLocation.INSIDE, ColorBlendMode.NORMAL, 100, false);
}
activeDocument.selection.deselect();
};
function singleLine(pos,pixelPos) {
var desc5 = new ActionDescriptor();
var ref4 = new ActionReference();
ref4.putProperty( charIDToTypeID('Chnl'), charIDToTypeID('fsel') );
desc5.putReference( charIDToTypeID('null'), ref4 );
var desc6 = new ActionDescriptor();
if(pos == "Direction.VERTICAL"){
desc6.putUnitDouble( charIDToTypeID('Left'), charIDToTypeID('#Pxl'), Number(pixelPos) );
desc5.putObject( charIDToTypeID('T   '), charIDToTypeID('Sngc'), desc6 );
}else{
desc6.putUnitDouble( charIDToTypeID('Top '), charIDToTypeID('#Pxl'), Number(pixelPos) );
desc5.putObject( charIDToTypeID('T   '), charIDToTypeID('Sngr'), desc6 );
}
executeAction( charIDToTypeID('setd'), desc5, DialogModes.NO );
};

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old reply from La.lo was correct; you can't print the guides in Photoshop. You could make a layer then using various tools, recreate them (good suggestion how to do so today) and then they would print from that layer. But the guides in PS are visual only, they do not output. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Meanwhile I sent some key chain thingies for printing and made a guide for a circular cutting on the top left where the chain has to go through and the printing company somehow managed to print the guides on both sides. What could have gone wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines