Exit

How to "open" file normally, without Creative Cloud

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long story short, I don't want this:

xanderz64171393_0-1658420918399.png

I was able to get rid of it before. Had to reset PS prefs just now due to a bug with snapping, after which I re-enabled all legacy settings (or disabled anything even remotely related to the CC really). Still getting the above screen.

In case Adobe suddenly decides to actually do something with feedback:

I don't use the Cloud and unless Adobe CC is willing to give an equavallant to my current 2TB SSD for no extra charge, not going to either. I can't be the only person for who working locally is faster, cheaper, safer and easier. Maybe create an option to disable the CC options all together, isntead of slowly transforming Adobe software in a new form of bloatware?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

I think this goes into the realms of bug reports now, considering I tried everything that I could find online and more. There isn't really anyone I could find with a similar issue and I feel like I've gone to the absolute max. by wiping my system of anything Adobe software-related. Not much else I can do, except for reinstalling my Windows (which isn't an option at the moment).

Thanks to everyone taking their time to help out and enjoy the new year 🙂

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/default-file-location-on-your-computer-not-doing-anything/idi-p/13458775#M72155

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

I'm still not entirely sure how, but I might have fixed the problem.

For some reason, my Photoshop kept saying the file save location was always on 'On your computer'. It kept giving me the CC open window despite that, but it saved my old preferences nonetheless. Every time I tried something (so even after a complete wipe), it still kept holding on to the 'On your computer' setting. Which led me to the above answer, of it having something to do with a back-up.

I never found out whether it had so

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@xanderz64171393 

Hi

Do two things:

• Click "On your computer" in the lowest left of your dialog.
  • Change your preferences!
    Edit > Preferences > File Handling > Default File Location > Set to 'On your computer'
    and
    Restart Photoshop after changing the preference.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I reinstalled all Adobe software yesterday (don't ask, Adobe stability issues). Went pretty well, solved some issues. However, your solution doesn't seem to work anymore.

So pretty much all my Photoshop settings are set back to legacy and saving to my computer is on. Yet the open in Creative Cloud window doesn't seem to go away anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a corrupt preferences file. A reinstall will not touch user preferences and settings, which are all stored in your system user account, not the program files.

Preferences are resaved on every application exit, so errors accumulate and corruption can easily happen.

Resetting preferences should return the application to clean factory state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried, though that doesn't seem to work.

I actually used the Creative Cloud clean-up tool, aside from manually removing all files in Program Files (& x86), Program Data, all Appdata folders and Windows Registry. I required a clean install of all Adobe software, so I was quite thorough in my clean-up. Technically that should be more effective than a reset of the preference file anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this goes into the realms of bug reports now, considering I tried everything that I could find online and more. There isn't really anyone I could find with a similar issue and I feel like I've gone to the absolute max. by wiping my system of anything Adobe software-related. Not much else I can do, except for reinstalling my Windows (which isn't an option at the moment).

Thanks to everyone taking their time to help out and enjoy the new year 🙂

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/default-file-location-on-your-computer-not-d...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that you have some sort of permissions problem in your Windows user account. That would prevent Photoshop from writing preferences.

Not sure if it would help for this, but you can try to right-click the Photoshop icon in the start menu, and "run as administrator". It should normally be enough to do this just once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my Windows set-up to automatically run my software elevated, but to be sure I also checked folder permissions. All relevant user accounts have full control over the Program Files folders and the Appdata folder (where prefs are stored).

I could be wrong, but I'm starting to get the feeling my preferences file is being restored from a back-up. I have no back-up software and I haven't heard CC doing this, so I'm going to dig a bit deeper into the 'Adobe Photoshop 2023 Prefs.psp' file, see what I can find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm still not entirely sure how, but I might have fixed the problem.

For some reason, my Photoshop kept saying the file save location was always on 'On your computer'. It kept giving me the CC open window despite that, but it saved my old preferences nonetheless. Every time I tried something (so even after a complete wipe), it still kept holding on to the 'On your computer' setting. Which led me to the above answer, of it having something to do with a back-up.

I never found out whether it had something to do with a back-up, as I tried a couple of different combinations of the following (took me an hour of trying different combinations in no particular order):

• Change the location from 'On your computer' to 'Creative Cloud' and vice versa
  • Reset the Preferences
  • Open/delete the Adobe Photoshop 2023 Prefs.psp file in \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023\Adobe Photoshop 2023 Settings
  • Open and close Photoshop

I think it started working after doing some of the above routine and opening the prefs.psp file from the appdata folder last, though I could be mistaken. I still can't figure out the logic behind these steps, but I am just going to gratefully accept it works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines